Thursday, April 3, 2008

Vince's Birthday!


He started out a reluctant birthday boy. He didn't want a party, didn't want to go out, didn't want a present. Apparently, I have the habit of performing fantastic feats for everyone else in the family for their birthdays and can not seem to get things just right for his birthday. "I say I want a brownie cake you'll make something with coconut." DeeJay and I were totally shaking our heads at him.

So, with the help of our friends Mike and Bobbie, I made him his favorite meal (pork carne asada) and cooked it at their house. They made him homemade Maple Ice Cream. I made him a brownie cake. Valda brought him some Corona beers.

He walked in the door at Bobbie's and said, "Well, Jason ought to be here soon." I said, "Oh, he called you?" "No, I just went to his work and asked him to come." I said, "Vince, you did?" Thinking, 'you shouldn't have to go out of the way to track down your own brother on your own birthday'. But, Vince said, "Yea, he doesn't remember it's my birthday. We'll have to see what happens."


A few minutes later Jason walked in the door. He was all smiles and said "Hey Sis!" and "Hi Bobbie!" and he said hello to the kids and to DeeJay and he sits down and says, "Yea, I just ate, I'm good." Then Mike walked in the door and added a card to the stack of birthday cards waiting to be opened. Or, maybe Mike handed Vince a beer, but somehow Jason finally took a good look around. He saw the birthday cake, the pile of cards with the word 'Vince' written on them, the spread of food, Bobbie handing me a box of candles: he saw something and the light of recognition went off.

He stood up and put Vince into a headlock and then went into the other room, face flushed.

Vince on the other hand started laughing, the deepest most pure honest laugh that he has laughed in months. A tearful and joyous laugh. Jason said, "I'm an asshole." It's as if Vince's laugh, that pure gorgeous laugh, was responding, "yea, you are."

The Carne Asada turned out great, exactly like he likes it (very lime-y). The brownie cake (perfect) and the ice cream was so good, it was absolutely out of this world creamy perfect and makes us never to want to buy ice cream again. All that laughter really lifted the mood in all of our hearts and every one had a great night. Especially Vince.

Thank you Mike and Bobbie for hosting one of Vince's best birthdays in years!

No comments: