Sunday, June 7, 2009

Callie and Torrey's Wedding


This afternoon we were honored to celebrate the marriage of a young man who we have watched grow up...Torrey Short.

The theme colors were peacock and the wedding party were dressed in teals and mauve and purple. The men had orchids and peacock feathers in the boutonnieres. This wedding was a the perfect middle of the two types of wedding one traditionally finds here in Homer. Those being the standard potluck w/extra tuffs or over the top all you can eat oyster bar with harp player. Callie planned things right in the middle and Vince and I think it turned out just perfect.

For example; Homer Style: The ceremony was preformed by one of their best friends who was granted ministerial authority for the day (this method has worked out fantastically for another couple we all know and love ;]). Traditional Style: The invitation said that the wedding was at three. Sure enough, the wedding started at three and there were more than a few folks, living on Homer time, running up the road, gifts in hand, while the couple were reciting their vows. I even overheard one gal say, "But it's only three fifteen, we aren't late!"

In Traditional Style, the rain/sun tents had lovely Chinese lanterns hanging inside, the buffet was done by Fritz Creek and was delicious. In Homer Style the only people sitting under the tents were the wedding party. Everyone else was sitting out in the lawn in the glorious sun. When the wedding party had finished eating they were out in the sun as well and the tents and those tables were left empty for the remainder of the afternoon.

We relished the beautiful reception in the warm sun (there was not even a day breeze). Vince found a friend and chatted about Indonesia. I spent a lot of time watching the young people, who I remember as small children, dance. There was a part of me that wanted to grab the mic and remind them, "This is as beautiful and healthy as you may ever be! Enjoy every minute! Cast aside your self doubt and self consciousness and enjoy your selves..." But I didn't. They wouldn't have understood what I meant anyway.

And then there were the bride and groom. What a beautiful couple! Torrey is a steady man. He knows how he feels and he is unwavering. He is a firefighter and he has traveled the world and he met Callie and that was that. The way he looked at her throughout the ceremony got me thinking.


Most people who read this blog have read the Twilight series of young adult books. I can say that most readers even have been addicted to these books. My friend De even posted a cartoon on her blog about women's Bible study time becoming Twilight discussion groups (very very funny). I've read the books, but I am so crotchety, I can't get over this heroine and her poor decision making skills. The entire way through the novel he is being honest and telling her that no good can come out of her being with him, and yet she continues to devote herself to him. In my mind it is the antitheses of what we try to teach our daughters; "If he says he's no good for you there is probably a reason." "Just because he got out of rehab and has been clean for two weeks does not mean he's over it." "You can't change him or fix him. Not possible."

Because of this, you can imagine my shock when my stanch feminist friend (whose name I will not mention here) confessed to reading the entire series, like an addict, for a week of her vacation. When I brought up my theory about the books and my shock that she could get passed that she said, "Alana, it's not about the heroine or that dysfunctional relationship. It's not even about all that subliminal sex words, like 'sucking, hard body, inhaling'. It is the males in the story. They all epitomize what women crave in a partner. It does not matter that she is a moody b****. Those men give her full eye contact always. Edward wants to hear what she has to say always. What he wants does not matter to what she wants. The men are always about her and they act as her safety net. No, these novels are not about her at all..."

The wedding today proved Mindy's (oops sorry) point. I realized that his intensity is what locked me into my true love and I can tell it is what Callie finds in her true love.

When I look at Torrey I imagine that his bachelor party was a sublime affair in which he would not have tolerated anyone thinking it was funny to put a ball and chain around his ankle. He kept one eye on Callie the entire evening. He showed no reservations or nervousness. He probably would have been just as happy to marry at the fish cleaning tables or fire hall, but he happily went on with every plan Callie wanted to make. He is her Edward.

It is obvious that he is completely loyal and devoted to this woman, and she respects him and honors him with this same intensity.

My Edward and I ended the evening by dancing and laughing in the sun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You forgot about the Siamese fighting fish center pieces!