Sunday, June 21, 2009

Seldovia Summer Solstice Music Festival


There is no better town in Alaska for families with independent (read that to mean 'occasionally feral') children than Seldovia.

Without hardly any cars, beaches all around, flowers, trees, playground, swimming pool, and places to get out of the rain, Seldovia is a fun place, where a 'kid can be a kid' without having to stay inside watching PBS TV all day to do it.

Emma and Marina spent hours on the harbor sheol playing in the tide and looking for treasures. Tillman found an old rusted gun. No, I doubt it was a murder weapon ditched at sea.
We took our boat over Friday morning. Gage and her family joined us. Also, a new friend Gina came along. Steve R. also accompanied us and brought his boat so there was plenty of room for everyone. This picture is of Gage and her husband Julianne, enjoying the sun after a latte.

In the past we have camped, but the weather and the volume of people involved lead us to choose the 'hotel room' option. We stayed right above the Main grocery store in a suite room. There was a kitchenette, a deck looking out at Seldovia Bay, and a hot tub for the kids to play in.
Willie was walking along the Boardwalk and this eagle landed right beside him. Yes, it is real. Yes, he was able to take this picture. I have done no editing of this picture. It was that close!

I always want to move to Seldovia after spending the weekend there. Someday, when I have the need for a get away studio, it will be in Seldovia.

For the time being however, it may be a little too laid back for Alana in real time. I have huge social needs. I enjoy eating out. I enjoy a movie every week. I like to not be held back from my travel plans by bad weather. But someday, someday when I need beautiful Alaskan quiet somewhere where everyone knows me but no one cares, it will be in Seldovia.
Everyday Vince and Gina went fishing. This picture is of Vince cleaning his catch at the fish cleaning table. The kids all played together and rode their bikes around town. Marina got to shop for whatever she wanted, whenever she wanted. (This usually meant ice cream.) I did yoga Saturday morning and drank coffee in the sun and the rain. In the evenings, we had fresh halibut dinners sitting out on the deck of our hotel. Afterwords, we went to the music festival. The headliner this year was Gaelic/Celtic. I have to say that I didn't really get it, but I was the only person at the festival with that problem. It reminded me of when I was a mall cop in Saipan and I was not getting why the mall had to keep playing 'local music'. Now that we are in Alaska, I love hearing local music. It just takes me right back. Maybe someday I'll feel the same about Gaelic?

This is the view from the bedroom window of our hotel room at 10.30 pm AKDT. I took this picture to show the difference between my winter sunrise collection and my summer sunset collection. A sunny day on summer solstice...it is mind blowing.

No comments: