Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Sweet and Sour Life


Sharon's Driveway or Breakup Is Here at Last


While I was in Illinois getting ready to see Cats Musical with no shoes to wear other than my UGGS, my dear friend Laurie said to me, "You can not tell me that there is never a time in Homer Alaska that you do not need a nice pair of black pumps?!" I scanned my internal database and said, "No, there is really never a time one would need a pair of nice black pumps. Black Stilettos yes... and you'd change into them at the door of the bar."

This proves my point.

It was a sweet day with the news of Maya finally coming home from Vietnam, and Falcom doing well during his special education time with Amy, and Marina being taken to Sharon's for a play date at the same time. I had a delicious cup of coffee with Sharon and she told me the funniest story about a massage and a hot tub at the Homer Day Spa. Not a very 'Family Friendly' story. A real classic. I left there so happy. Trudged back down the mud path to my car with sweet feet.

And then I heard from Suzanne that her brother died this weekend. It had been coming on for some time. A brain tumor. There was gobs of time to prepare and finish and heal. But when the event finally plays out, it is a sad anxious time. The sour bite in life.

In light of this, I decided to drive us to Weight Watchers!

It could have been a big night for me. The reaching of my 10% goal! That means that they will give me a key chain and I will get to stand in front of the group with my hands held high in a Hallelujah pose while my friends applaud! I couldn't let Suzanne miss that.

Um, no it did not happen this week. How could it when I eat like a professional boxer? I did loose 1/2 a pound, so maybe next week.

Then I drug Suzanne to the Youth Summer Activity Fair at Paul Banks School. I was wondering why I would put her through something like that, with all those throngs of people, and especially when my ADD is bad and I didn't bring a calendar or anything, but... She found Karen who had just the right thing to say about her grief and so it was worth it. It was also worth it because Joslyn told me the gossip she heard from her son about how great Falcom was at the Jubilee. Totally worth it.



And to finish up the night we went to see this:



since we read the book for the book group and we had to see how it was going to condense into 2 hours. Yes, a slight disappointment. But still lovely. Especially when you watch it while eating this:
It might be a few more weeks until I reach that 10% goal.

On the way home, Suzanne asked me about the Retina A that we got from Dr. C. during our dermatology day. "How is that going for you?" she asked.

I flashed in my mind about how he gave me samples and how they were still sitting in my purse, even though I had asked him for a prescription, and even though Irene said to me when I told her I got that, 'What's the point? You won't use it.' and I swore that I would use it and become the hot babe the doctor promised I would be. "Um, I haven't gotten around to trying it yet."

Suzanne looked at me, probably remembering how she asked the Dr for some when he went on about how it was going to help get rid of wrinkles and everything else and since I was getting some she wanted to be a hot babe too, and said, "Me neither!" We started both laughing so hard. We laughed all the way past that hot spot of sweets; the Fritz Creek Store.

When we parted ways Suzanne said the evening was good medicine. I left her feeling that life was getting back to a little bit of sweet.

No comments: