Saturday, April 5, 2008

Fat Olives with Mindy H!

It was another grey day in Homer Alaska. Friday. Vince was planning to take the kids to the cabin and I was looking forward to a night alone. I called Karen S. and set up a dinner date and she said that Mindy H. was also setting up a Post-First Friday (The night of all town art gallery openings) dinner party. Sounded good. Called Irene and Lo! Irene was having some technical difficulties with her own head. Luckily, I was not having any ADD induced technical difficulties and so I managed to secure the dinner party AND an over night and day at my house of her two guys with Falcom.

Marina has missed her dad so bad she chose to go to the cabin with him and DeeJay.

I got the call from Mindy H. that this was more than a girlfriend hang out, that this was going to be date night out with both Schemet-Pitchers, Parks, Pitzmans, Sotells, Hunters, and other couples who did not make it. Karen also found her long time friend Dave who sold a boat to my long time friend Neil and so he sat for a bit.

What a fun and lively group of fantastic women! I think their partners are also very cute and lively, but as happens in most co-ed parties, the men migrated to one side of the table and the women merged on the other and so I did not get to share conversation with all of them.


I will say here that, if I drank alcohol, I would be seriously questioning my conversational behavior last night. Luckily, because I am a sober gal I can reflect back and think that they were all enjoying my report from the Midwest. Yea, I was really telling stories last night. I love telling stories and I am so glad that I have a group of friends who will allow me the opportunity to try to entertain them.

THANK YOU KAREN, MINDY, STEPHANIE, MINDY, CHERYL, and everyone else in the restaurant who gave me the opportunity to enact my son's flamboyant ways while in "Not Barak Obama's" Illinois. Thank you for giving my own flamboyant soul a chance to escape the confines of my home-making life.

Topics I Discussed

-The really old days pre-Vince when I was a member of "Babes on Food Stamps"
-The veil of gayness my son stepped through when he got off the train in Central Illinois
-How H.F. told me "I am so looking forward to your children being in school. I am always thinking of a way to involve you once you are free. This community needs your superior intellect!" (Yea, they were all totally busting up too)
-The term 'Feral Children' and how it applies to my family.
-How my girlfriend asked me (when she saw that the only shoes I packed for my trip to Illinois were my UGGs and pink crocks even though I knew I would be going to the theater and I explained that this was all I had) "You can not tell me that there is not a time in Homer Alaska when you do not need to wear a pair of nice black pumps?" (In case you are wondering, "Um, no, there really is not a time you need a descent pair of pumps." This was agreed to by every woman at the table last night. And I will mention here that I arrived at the dinner with some bling, some lipstick, fingernail polish and I felt I was way overdressed! But Mindy P.'s daughter told me that I looked beautiful and so it made it all worth it!)
-My birthday party and how they had all better be thinking of their talents! and how I told J.M. that picking up a phone and talk gossiping was a fabulous talent that she could display. What a person does is not really the point.

Oh, I was not a total conversation hog. Those gals encouraged me with their own funny bits. Karen, it's the look in your eyes sometimes, when I know that you have so much more to say but that you were raised on the East Coast and so you know how to control your tongue. Mindy H. you know we have more to go over. Mindy P., we didn't even get to go into your early days in Homer. Stephanie, "Pitzmania" is an awesome term for a family in hypo drive! Cheryl...I am so proud of you for the work you are doing. How fantastic that you are coming into my life. All your husbands are really cute!

And then I was off to Irene's where the boys were changing their minds about coming over until I pulled out the tough love: "Hey! Falcom didn't go to the snow machine cabin because he wanted to have you guys over for an overnight and that would be rude to cancel now. Also, I'm going to let you stay up as late as you want and drink soda." Next thing I knew they were packed and ready to go. Was it the morality or the soda that won them over. I am hoping for morality, but I fear it was the soda. I somehow got them to lay in bed at 12 midnight and by 1230 they were asleep. Yea, I gave them a shot glass each full of soda. Yea, they are watching a movie again this morning.

Thanks again Mindy for a great night out!

No comments: