Friday, April 4, 2008

Coffee Anyone?


Another grey day in Homer AK brings another opportunity to meet with girlfriends and drink coffee. Today I was blessed by a phone call from Charlotte. (You may remember my blog posting about the family going to the Kilcher Homestead for some sun and fun.) Well, she and I found we had so much to say to each other that she decided to come by after her husband 'wheelered' her out of their place. What does this mean? It means spring is coming and their road is too muddy and broken up to drive a car on and so she relies on her husband to portage her to the main road.

Needless to say, Charlotte's life has been very full this past couple of months.

I won't go into it here, but it is interesting to me how when I was young I thought that I was prepared for all kinds of crisis in life. I don't think in my planning I threw a wide enough net to capture all the things that were possible to have to endure with good friends.

After coffee with Charlotte I did some regular Thursday things, and when I dropped Falcom at his voice teachers place I went to Priscilla's to drink even more coffee.

She was fortunate enough to spend the day with Irene who followed her to a transmission mechanic in Soldotna. Irene wanted to invite me, but Priscilla told her not to, that she wanted her daughter to herself. Good for them! Her car should be fixed in a week.

Today, I had to explain to Priscilla my theory of "Zombified Minions of the Soccer Mom Army". When I told her that I had to explain the whole thing to Vince because he is so literal he didn't get it she admitted she didn't either.

"You know those women who maybe didn't make a good choice the first time they got married or pregnant? Well, they are single now and don't want to be. They see a guy like Vince and they think: he's cute, family oriented, well off, professional, nice, ALONE FOR LARGE AMOUNTS OF TIME." Priscilla still was not getting it (Vince didn't get it either) so I went on.

"When they realize he is alone quite a bit they will begin to swarm. You know, like in the movies." Priscilla said, "But why are they zombies?" I had to explain, "Because instead of trying to suck blood they will try to suck something else!" I thought she would die laughing with humor and embarrassment.

Then she said, "They won't go right for that. They will start by inviting him to eat a dinner." Then I started really laughing.

This is the grey day view from our house. Until tomorrow!

No comments: