Friday, April 25, 2008

Dress Rehersal


(Here is a message for Vince)

We might be able to get some honey this year after all! I did it! I got dressed in everything I had and wore DeeJay's motorcycle helmet (so that I would not have an 'ear-bee' repeat while by myself). I opened the hive and removed the Diva. I got half the candy cork pulled out of the queens cage and reinserted her into the hive. The good news is that I was only bitten once and that was because I was unable to pop the lid off of her cage with the leather gloves on and so the bite was painful, but superficial. Once I got her buddies off the cage, she became very active and angry looking again (that red spot on her back does not help, it's like looking at a mood ring on her back, or black widows spot). I did my part, she's back in there and in a couple days I'll return and make sure that they got her out of her cage and then I will be done with having to bother them for the rest of the summer.
Falcom took these shots on the way home from school.


And then, the Rehearsal. We were a half hour late, as instructed. The director informed us that she was going to have Falcom and Mystique and Chasey go on for practice at the end of the first act, and that way she would be able to dismiss all of us 'little kids'. That was great. We ended up only being there for a little over an hour. The director worked out the kinks for the last 'all together kids' bow and then she dismissed us. He sounded good to me again. It's hard, as a mom, to know that the next time he sings it he's all on his own. When we were done we returned to the Auditorium to collect our things and Falcom said, "I like the judge of this, she is really nice!" And I know that she was listening, because she was looking at us and smiling. He is a sweet sweet child.

*this is the caddiness moment in my post, and so if you don't want your day soiled by the sin of gossip do not read any further.*


At home later on, I got a call from the Radeke family. We are organizing for the weekend: DeeJay is going snow machining, Mariah is coming for an overnight. E. says, "So I hear Falcom is the star of the show at the Jubilee". I said, "I don't know...star of the show..." She said, "Mariah came home and told us that fill in the name here came to school today totally pissed. That the directors were making Falcom the star of the show, that they had the gall to make all the other kids dance back up for him, taking away from them. She felt it should have been her being the last act. She's the one with talent." E. said she was going to have to come to the show for sure now.

And then an incident came to mind. It was while we were in the auditorium waiting for our number to come up. Most of the acts were all in the audience waiting for their turns. It was fill in the name here turn to sing and she got up and tried to rehearse her song. The mics did not work. They got the problem worked out and she stood looking over at the side wall. She had no smile and her voice sounded shot. She could not put that singers warble into her infection and she could not hit the high notes. It was like the poor girl was doing scales all night. Falcom sat next to me sketching and when he finished he thought he might give her the picture he drew because he really likes her and thinks they are friends. As the girl sat taking directors notes, Falcom started belting out the chorus of her song. It's that thing he does, when he is unaware that there is a universe around him and he brakes out in song for no reason except that his head is always filled with songs. I couldn't help but notice the other young girls in the audience turn to look at Fal and one of them said, "He's singing fill in the name here's song!" I turned to Fal and said, "Babe, you need to keep your song in your head and let her keep her song in her head." And Fal just went on coloring.

When E. filled me in on the school gossip, the whole scene became very clear. The fact that Falcom is such a pure soul, oblivious to the conniving nature of humans, makes this event even more beautiful to me. That poor girl despises him. I believe this because her mother will not let her children play with us when they are in the neighborhood. (In fact, it was her mother who staged a revolt against the Tibetan Throat Singers when they came to sing at the schools that her daughter would be somehow brainwashed against Jesus by hearing the voices. You can imagine her view of us!) And now, Falcom's genuine sweetness is like salt on a slug. That the HCOA would support this odd child with his Tranny behavior! I wonder if she will perform tonight or if they will bail. Whatever...

Life as a theater mom. Wish us luck at the show!


1 comment:

The Wes Gordon Family said...

Hey A. So this is freaking Hilarious! Doncha love it when our innocents knock the pants off those snooty- tooty- whacked out meanies?

Way to Go FAL!


Lots a Love!

Dee