Saturday, March 8, 2008

Spaghetti Feed Fundraiser and Hockey Tournament


Another day, another outing!

Today we started with watching Riley (Irene's first son) play a fantastic game of hockey! Our town is hosting the state tourney and so the place was packed full of little hockey kids and their parents. I never realized what a fantastically noisy sport hockey is. The bystanders bang furiously on the Plexiglas surrounding the rink and WOW what an exciting feeling. Next time I will bring earplugs.

I will admit that I got very sentimental at the singing of the Alaska State Song. I love this state! Why do the winters have be so dark! I also love it when I see Riley doing something that is so reflective of his deep inner talents. He scored two goals and really shines out on the ice.

You might be wondering what my kids were doing during the game...listening to the ipod with M.R. and dancing in an empty lockerroom.

Then it was off to the Lutheran Church so that we could attend the spaghetti feed potluck auction fundraiser for Marina's preschool. There was a good turnout and everyone had a Lutheran style good time. What do I mean by that? There were lots of delicious deserts that people brought, like butterscotch friendship bread muffins, and lemon cake, and pies, lots and lots of pies. The kids were milling around until a teen put on a movie for them in the back room. The adults were polite and not rambunctious. The auction items went for reasonable prices and there were no bidding wars. The last item up for bid were 5 gallon buckets of lettus that had been donated for the dinner, but were not eaten. Why let something go to waste? After the second item sold Vince rolled his eyes at me and said, "I'm going to watch the movie with the kids. Let me know when you are ready to go." He's such a good sport.

No comments: