Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Party at Suzanne's!


Another night, another party. Tonight was the Lia Sophia Jewelery party for J.G. at Suzanne's house with her friends from the Russian Village. The Russian Community here in Homer is a somewhat closed society and I have never had the opportunity to really hang with anyone from there before. It was so fun to find out about their way of life and the similarities and differences between our two cultures. Its funny to think about how different things are and we are only 15 miles apart. It felt a lot like being on Saipan; hanging with islanders and then going to an expat party. Or going to a Thai celebration and then going back to our regular white guy life.

Suzanne said this was the time for the party because the Lent for Old Believers starts this weekend. I said I would make enchiladas, she said yea cool since its not Lent. I think I must have missed something because I made chicken enchiladas and when I told Suzanne she said, "You said cheese! They aren't eating meat this week!" So there I was with gobs of chicken enchiladas and I couldn't feed anyone. My grandmother who is still inside of me was rolling in her Midwestern socks. Oh well, you can't feed all the people all the time. I especially felt this when they were all starting to get drunk and needed food.

The girls all stayed until 10:30, with the help of Suzanne who passed out one last round. I didn't get home until 11:30 and today I'm tired.

No comments: