Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Abraham Lincoln Library Museum


We started out the day early with a trip to Springfield and the Abraham Lincoln Museum. I don't know if this is a far reaching sentence, but I feel strongly that this may be the best museum I've ever been to. Well thought out, well planned, interactive without simply using touch screens in front of an exhibit and calling it interactive. The stove in the White House Kitchen was hot. Amazing. The ideas were inspiring. Ah! I was fighting back the tears through the entire time. The planners made Lincoln into such a complex character. I will go back again without my kids. I will take my kids again. I will make the pilgrimage to this place every time we come. It was kind of over the kids heads, but they got the basic ideas. Slavery, war, unity. Something that really held with me was, "Americans Detest Oppression". That sentiment reflects from long ago into current problems. Detesting Oppression... It was amazing.

The 'Ghosts of the Lincoln Library' was especially mind blowing. Fantastic.

The sun was out by the time we were home and the kids and I took a bike ride around town. There are signs of spring everywhere; birds, grass budding, daffodils. Then we went to the park to play for a bit. Now we are all enjoying American Idol and getting ready for bed.

No comments: