Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Lewistown Illinois


Where to start. We went to see Cats. It was amazing. In fact, I was seriously tearing up the entire show. Why, you may wonder, as I have seen the thing so many times that I know all the moves just as well as Falcom? Because Laurie, left us in the totally super nose bleed section and went to the ticket booth and told the people that we were here from Alaska to see the show and were there any better seats they could put us in. Next thing I know we are in row J and the cats from the cast are roaming up and down the isle in front of us. You know how some kids light up at the sight of Disney characters? Well my two could have been in a commercial for the show. It was awesome. I mean, Thank you Laurie! I'm tearing up just thinking about it now!

The next day we made what felt like an epic trip to the Shedd Aquarium to see the sea life. We checked out of the hotel and carried our luggage to the blue line, rode that for 40 minutes to Union Station where we had to haul the luggage and find lockers and then find the bus to connect with bus to transfer. You can imagine how difficult this was, especially when I'm trying to figure out the high tech lockers and I look over to find Marina with her shoes off scaling a formation inside the train waiting lounge. Yes, both kids were totally in an ADHD induced haze and were tired of having to think the way city kids have to think I guess. Anyway, the Amish that were watching the show did not seem offended so....

Shedd was crowded. It was wonderful to be with Baluga Whales and Sharks. We walked into Wild Reef exhibit and I smelt the sea air and I missed the islands so bad! Laurie and I found a secluded spot where the shark tank was kind of over our heads and we sat down in that corner and cracked open diet Pepsi's and dreamed of our days near the warm water seas. It was a perfect moment! And like all perfect moments it ended abruptly with Falcom telling me that he had to go number two but that he didn't need help in the public restroom and running off, and me jumping up to follow him while the security guard came over and busted Laurie for drinking soda in the exhibit. Nice.

Fortunately for us, Laurie had bought the kids these little St. Patrick's Day hats on headbands and it made the kids very recognizable in the huge crowd. I told Laurie that whatever she spent on those things was worth it and she agreed. We left the Shedd and Laurie said, "I don't care the cost we are taking a taxi to the station!" And so Falcom got to have one of his dreams fulfilled and wave down a cab. We rode in peace for $8.75.

On Amtrak we were all comfy cosy and everything was good, until this large woman took Marina and my seat and when I mentioned that she had put her stuff on our jackets she said, "You didn't have your name on it! You don't get to hold seats around here!" The train was only half full and so it was strange to be about to go to blows over seats. That's when I said, "Your kidding, right?" and she said, "NO I'm not kidding I'm not giving you those seats." I said, "Come on kids lets go, the whole car in front of this is empty." And then she said, "You don't take that stuff out of the seat. How do I know it's yours? Finders Keepers." I said, "Now you must really be kidding! That is just unbelievable. Lets go." Falcom said, "mom, I like my seat." I said, "we are getting away from here honey." And then, strangely, the woman said, "No, please stay. I'm sorry." I said, "No, we are moving." And then she said, "No really, I'm sorry." So I sat down and tryed to imagine that all the meanest girls from grades 4-8 were not embodied in this woman directly in front of me.

Wouldn't you know...She then decided that she loved us. "Go to the food car. Believe me, I'll keep eye on your stuff." and when she got off the train she went to my dad and told him how he has the best family! Marina became good friends with her daughter and Falcom with another older daughter and the four kids had a great train experience. I'm kind of wondering if my Greyhound Karma has transferred over to Amtrak...

This is a picture of my dad's house. I have not been able to transfer any of my own pictures yet. Maybe tonight or tomorrow or Saturday. It is super to be here. This big house is a heaven for the kids who are constantly finding a new nook to explore. Also, at home, with our wide open floor plan, this old style house with all these small rooms and doors has been a real fun hide and seek place. Grandpa and Grammy are throwing down the spoilage. And it has been fun.

Today we leave for St. Louis for a couple of days to hang with Mema's family and Kathy's daughter Laurie and then we will be back for a week of adventure in Lewistown.

No comments: