Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Regular Tuesday with Irene

Look at what Valda found meandering past her greenhouse Sunday morning. I'm glad Marina was able to see proof of this bear because she has a small habit of scooting off to Valda's for visits without telling anyone. No, not really, but when she went over last Saturday morning, with permission, she informed Valda and our other neighbor Patty that she had run away and that I didn't know where she was.

I'm sure that now her tall tales of adventure will be of bear encounters instead of stealth breakaways from this oppressive house and it's overbearing brothers.


This morning, Irene was slated to attend a field trip for Chris's class (swimming lessons), and so we thought our Regular Tuesday was a little to early to be anything but coffee. Well, we managed to sit around and chat long enough, that I was able to sneak in a sandwich.

Topics Covered:

How today I am not feeling oppressed by my S. A. D. (seasonal affective disorder). I was good, I sat by my box and I felt like I could actually remember something. Lets hope it lasts.
Hockey team management
How I have such a wonderful support group at the WW. I love Monday's!

A cycle that I've noticed in many marital situations that needs attention (no, not just mine and hers...). I call it the Lack of Intimacy Abyss...harsh words create angry/sad feelings, angry/sad feelings create emotional distance, emotional distance creates the lack of intimacy, lack of intimacy creates...well, we all know what that can create..., the creation of that leads to harsh words... its a cycle that needs to be halted for marriages to thrive! How, with the S.A.D. problem, the collective bad vibe in the world about the financial crisis and election, and just feeling overwhelmed with life, the urge to snap at each other is much greater than usual. Our need for civility in these most important relationships is vital! If any readers need more information about my theory let me know.
The surprising lack of gossip in our lives at this moment. Of course there was some (read the theory) but less than usual. What is the difference between gossiping and sharing information? Are we spiritually evolving? Sadly, probably not...

A really important lesson that I learned from my Dad when I was young; "For things to change...you have got to make a change!"

The price of a ticket to Bali in January went down to $1000 this weekend...including tax...it's got me thinking...

A reminder that in friendships, it may feel that one person is pulling the weight...but that we need to remember that there was that time, not long ago, when the tide had moved the other way and it was the other who was able to be there in harsh times... this is what a life friendship is about.

I left Irene's and putzed around town. I saw the new concrete slab that the fabulous team at Strong Construction is giving us for our fireplace hearth. They do beautiful work! Then I was cruising to my house and I decided that I needed to go visit my friend Maygen J. and her beautiful baby Iris.

When I arrived Maygen was just getting home from work. Iris was asleep in the car. We sat on her porch in the sun and had a funny chat. Then she shared her garden with me. Sadly, because I am not a professional photographer, this picture can not capture the beauty of this landscape; the garden, the birch changing colors, the ocean and the glaciers behind. What a productive garden! I was inspired that I may be ready to attempt a garden here at this house.

When Falcom started school at Otter Beach, Maygen was one of his teachers. Now, she is teaching Willie ceramics at the high school. We sat in the sun, laughing, kvetching, sharing the highlights of our wild lives and the problems we face living in this climate. It was so fun!
Look at these flowers...can you see the butterflies?


One thing I failed to mention is that our friend Russ (aka Russell the Muscle) is home from medical school and is waiting to find out some scores on some test. With an active personality and not enough to do, he decided to come down to Homer to hang with us for a few days. Loyal readers of this blog may remember his wife coming down with their boys this past summer. (It was 'Face of Alaska' day and she and I went out for a desert tour?)

Vince has had a terrific time with Russ. They even sat on the beach together enjoying the sun today.

Our Russel Tradition is that he makes a pizza feast for us. He scrapes everything he can find out of the fridge, hand raises the dough, and experiments with sauces. This tradition was especially fantastic for Willie as pizza is his all time favorite food and that he also loves to cook! Because Russ has been out of the country we have not gotten to have the pleasure of a good Pizza night in a few years. Tonight's star pizzas included, Willies super meat and cheese and Tabasco and red pepper. DeeJay's meat and broccoli and fire super hot sauce, the thick crust pepperoni, the light ranch dressing mixed with rooster sauce.


picture by Valda

It has been great having you with us Russ! Good luck on the next leg of your trip!

2 comments:

Lynne said...

we're having a hearth pad done right now, too!!
Ahhh, a woodstove to help on heating bills. A good move.

Nice blog posting, as usual. I look forward to seeing you in a few days. I hope you've enjoyed all the great solar energy this week. It's been magnificent, hasn't it?!

Anonymous said...

Warning: the opinions stated in this blog are solely that of the blogger. I cannot support or deny anything that supposedly goes on during these coffee dates with Alana.