Friday, September 5, 2008

McNeil School Harvest Fair and Open House

Marina wins a ribbon for her entry, "Queen Cauliflower". No, you are not mistaken...it's a zucchini on a cabbage leaf with a flower and a little tomato. There is not a Cauliflower in sight. All were picked from Valda's garden and greenhouse which is fair because Marina has spent a great deal of time there this summer. Both with and without Valda.


I know a place where an elementary school is still an elementary school like our parents used to experience. That place is McNeil Canyon Elementary School in Homer Alaska. How do I know what my parents elementary schools were like? I don't. I just imagine them. I imagine that there was just one class for each grade. I imagine that the adult population of the school took a keen interest in all the children, not just the children in their classes. I imagine that parents of the students were friendly and knew each other and had a minute to visit. I imagine that the kids could go outside to the play ground by themselves and that the parents felt comfortable letting that happen because the playground was safe, the neighborhood was safe, the older kids kept watch of the younger kids.

This is what last night felt like to me. Do I sound like a Pauliana (a throw back term from my parents generation)? Maybe...but I know for sure that this is not the experience that most parts of this country get to experience, and again, I am thankful! (In fact, I know an elementary school that was having their open house on the same night and asked the parents not to bring their children...)

Falcom wins for his entry, "Strawberries Babies"

Last night we went to the schools annual Harvest Fair and Open House. This is the night of the year that everyone gets to show what they've been growing in their gardens and yards or have been buying from the store. There is then a little contest for different categories like a county fair. They also include an art angle and the kids really come up with some great stuff. Marina and Falcom loved it.

There was a pot luck before the open house to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the school. While the adults sat and visited together, the kids all were outside playing. When it was time to visit their classes the kids came in and proudly showed us around.


A favorite entry of Marina's


This is what public schools are supposed to feel like. It is what people strive for when looking for "community". People of different ideologies, different beliefs, different experiences all coming together and being together because of one commonality: wanting the neighborhood children to receive a strong healthy education. Many people asked me about DeeJay and how he was doing, not because they know me or him really, but because they have met him at the school door while he waited for the bus last year. Many wondered who that other boy with him in the mornings. People here care. I am lucky. I am glad there is a place for Marina and her feisty self. I am grateful that this is where Falcom is learning the ropes of merging into a new community when you feel so foreign. It is a life skill that only experience can teach. Thanks to all who are working so hard helping to make this happen!

No comments: