Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Regular Tuesday with Irene-Makes a Sandwich


Today's Regular Tuesday was not the gleeful encounter that they often are. Perhaps it is the change in the season affecting us on a cellular level... Perhaps it's because it has been an interesting week to be an Alaskan, and for the first time we are being affected by the collective conscious of the entire United States... Perhaps it's just the news around town... Perhaps it is the news in my own family that I got from the Edline today...

All I know is that this week I needed to purge and I know that there is always a strong cup of coffee waiting for me at Irene's. Today we also cracked out the Mayo (my fave) and made ourselves some Kick Dogon (chamorro for butt) sandwiches to eat while we discussed the following topics:

  • The arrest of a Head Start Mom (Dee this goes out to you!) on the felony charge of tampering with evidence in a murder. How this causes me such sadness because she has made bad choices and will certainly go to jail, for a long time, and has two of the most lovely very young daughters. My heart aches. I am so sad about this. Sometimes you see that a person only has a window of opportunity to make different choices, and that it is only a matter of time.....

  • Nearly grown young men on an IEP. Where does a mother draw the line? Well, when she sees that the school and the son are not working together to get the accommodations formula right and she finds he is already getting an F in English. How I am finding myself having to be awfully Ted Stevens-ish in my crabby bulldog approach. How we are going to the college to talk about job training and GED options tomorrow. Not this year, but...

  • Carrying on with the kayaking theme of the Johnson Lake weekend (please see Irene's blog to learn all about the Johnson Lake weekend), how to bust free of the eddys we sometimes find ourselves circling in in life.

  • Taking Falcom to Hawaii to see (his birthmother) Reshina. How? Taking Marina to Hawaii to see Reshina. How? School, money, work, ect. I've got to find that third way. How Mana (sister of Falcom ~and Marina) is still not working even though she's a senior and R is trying to find money for her prom since she's not working. How Gloria has a new boyfriend who is a Japanese guy who Reshina likes. He calls her Mom. I couldn't understand if they met in church, but I think not. He sometimes spends the night at their place 'in the other room' and she at his place 'in the other room'. R is tough, and the other mother sounds tough. Hope that is enough birth control...having too tough moms...but could it be? Sarah Palin seems pretty tough to me... My tounge is swollen from all the biting that was going on.

  • Why I love mayonnaise and was bummed that Weight Watchers took a day off on the day I was actually motivated to re motivate. Ah, next week.

  • How I got a call from Valda's friend worried about her because she hadn't been able to get a hold of her all day and would we go over there to check her (at 9pm). Well, of course! How when we arrived she was fine (her phone had been off the hook) and how Valda was really on a rip because she read in the paper how Sarah Palin has foreign policy experience 'based on our proximity to Russia. ' Russia is a sore subject with Valda, after her family was chased from Latvia by the Russians and she spent her childhood at a 'camp' in Germany waiting for a country that would take her.... I think the McCain Camp lost her.

We had to cut it short because we have children, but...I left there feeling much better! Thank you Irene!

No comments: