Thursday, September 11, 2008

Good Omens


It has been a challenging week for me. There have been many little kinks that have needed to get worked out in all the children's and adults lives. Whose job is this to make sure everyone gets what they need? Well mine of course!

Luckily, I had an interesting day full of good omens.

At noon-ish, Suzanne came over for a lunch (can you believe I don't have a shot of that?) and she really helped me stay focused on the long term benefit of continuing all this advocacy. It was such a pleasant talk. She also brought me a Homer News paper and what did I find inside?

Then we decided to go walking. We first fed the bunnies and while I was doing that Scratch started chasing something in the bushes. I asked Suzanne to check him to make sure he wasn't being bad, and she hollered, "No, everything is cool, just a bunch of little baby chicks."

What? No one has been setting! It couldn't be possible. I went over and sure enough, three brand new babies all chirping their heads off near this fairy ring in the woods across the street. Princess Laya has three chicks! Totally Amazing! I had to capture the kids expressions when they got off the bus and gave them this news.
Chicken news is always amazing.










We are still laughing about this fun surprise.In the midst of this chicken mayhem, I forgot that we had a play date today with our friends on Kilcher Road! Fortunately, Gage called me and so off we went.

How many of you recognize this house as the house that Vince moved into when we were falling in love. When we got there the sun broke through the clouds and Gage and I got to sit on the deck, like I used to do, except in chairs, and dream all those hippy dreams that I used to so enjoy. She's been fixing up the place, making it brighter and more practical. The tree is still there, in the center of the place. What is there now to that is so great is children. Lots and lots of kids and action. It made my heart feel so at peace.When we got home the big boys were studying and talking and laughing and sharing with me the news that they both got F's on their math tests today. But lucky! The entire class got F's on their math tests, so they are getting a reprieve! It was a day full of good omens.

The waking dream in all this? I was shown that I may feel like I'm just feeding and watering and tending to things with no reward (remember my scolding those chickens about how nobody rides for free only to be staring into an eggless fridge?)...but to remember that something miraculous is always at work in the woods, behind the scenes waiting for it's time to hatch. Just look at how my dreams of years ago have come to fruition...

What a gift, this life!

No comments: