Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Spa Day


Mindy and I started the day at Two Sisters for coffee and croissants. On the way in we noticed a really good looking young man. We both mentioned that summer must be here, as the really cute people were coming back to town. When we got inside the Cafe' we ran into S.O. who introduced us to that same good looking young man. She told us that he is her 'couch surfer'. When we asked how we could get one for ourselves she told us that there is a website, http://www.couchsurfing.com/, and you can invite people who are traveling to crash out at your pad. Yes, you get to see their pictures before you accept them. Mindy and I think we know how she keeps her marriage spicy! Mindy quickly picked up her cell phone and got said cute guy to go sailing with her husband.

This is Mindy mid-crack up

After loading up on stimulants we went to the Day Spa for side-by-side massages given to us by Karen S. Lovely building. Lovely entrance. Kind people who laughed heartily at the story of the last side by side massage I had, in Bali, (just a snippet: farm animals, father-in-law, ect). We filled out the questionnaire (Mindy was much more detailed than I). Out came my masseuse. "Hi, I'll be your masseuse today...if you will come with me." Out came Mindy's totally good looking young guy. "Hi, I'll be your masseuse today."
We looked at each other but were able to hold it back. Then we went to the darling cabin with the massage tables. My nice masseuse said, "Alana, if you will undress to your comfort level and lay face down under this blanket." and then Mindy's said to her, "Mindy, if you will undress to your comfort level and lay face up under this blanket. We will be back in a few minutes." Both practitioners left and Mindy and I totally lost it. We started laughing so hard we were crying. I am quite sure they could hear us laughing over the sound of the sea.
Was this a birthday joke gift from Karen? Is it because she wrote that she wanted deep tissue massage on her questionnaire? Whichever, she was getting the hot babe. And, to her credit, she buckled down and did it Alaskagirl style, where as I am way more modest mouse.
It was a wonderful massage; hot rocks, oils, ect. I will say that I kept wondering if Mindy was fully relaxed or if she was spending her time wondering how she could answer his questions without seeming sexual. For Instance; him: Does this feel good? she squeaked out a: yes.


We left that wonderful retreat and went out to the newly tourist saturated Homer Spit for some shopping with a gift certificate Mindy's husband gave her over a year ago. Because she had lost it and found it a couple of times already, (in fact leaving it on the counter as we were preparing to leave), the owner agreed to pin it to her wall so that it would not get lost again. Check out who gave her this nice gift...

We realized that we spend a lot of time fighting for accommodations for our children, isn't it reasonable to work accommodations into our lives. I am hoping this strategy will work with a Blackbeary Bog gift certificate I have been loosing and finding for almost a year now! We'll see.
And then to Land's End for Lunch and Cocktails. It was difficult getting a shot of Mindy with her drink that did not look to phallic. Then she said, "Isn't that the point of having a drink like this?" Hadn't thought of it that way. We were visited at the restaurant by the beautiful Brothers Wise. (They can not escape me!)












Then it was off for Pedicures! We came prepared with these goodies:
Did you know they have a whole section at the Grog Shop of non-alcoholic wine? Interesting discovery.

Yes. Getting a pedicure was the fantastic experience that every one told us it would be.



First you sit in this chair and soak your feet for a long time while Kimberly works on the nails and shaves the dead skin. This is a movie of the tissue removal.




Many loyal readers may recall Suzanne's and my trip to the dermatologist and his prescribing me 'Uric Acid'. Well, all that has paid off because Kimberly was able to shave off at least a quarter cup of skin from my feet.

You readers are in luck! Mindy has the shots of the floor covered in my dead skin on her camera so you won't be able to see that. (Kimberly said it was not the worst she'd ever seen, but I don't believe her.) But you will get to see the outcome:
We learned several things about the art of nail care. Here is my short list:


  • Nail polish comes in very fun names. Mindy chose Red like Roses. I chose Reggae to Riches.

  • When I apologized to Kimberly for not being able to get my previous polish off completely (with my home remover and a tampon since I ran out of cotton balls) she said that was just fine because she doesn't just have acetone, she has 'kick-acetone'.

  • Mindy's diamond file is not broken...it's just full of dead skin. She needs to wash it!

  • If you have a skin razor at home it is imperative that you get a new blade after every use!


I learned that there are things that a pedicurist can say to someone with really trashed feet to make the client feel good. One of those things is: "Are you a dancer?"

And the final outcome? Totally beautiful toes!



Thank you Irene and Karen for one of the best days that we have had all year. It was fantastic!!

1 comment:

Lynne said...

wow....simply stunning toe art, and delightful to read about your girl's day. Pampering pleasure to the hilt. Extremely wonderful!
btw....so HAPPY to see you BACK in "the bloggerhood". Missed ya there, in your brief absence! I'm happy the loaner 'pute is working out for now. I guess I don't need to put a poll on my blog afterall. I was coming up with a selection of choices on how to get you back up and running, with a computer. Suggestion #1 was going to be, holding a high-fiber (low pointage) bake sale in the parking lot, after a mon. night meeting. (funsies!) Anyway, welcome back, and thanx for sharing your life in cyberspace. It's always a good chuckle or two (or three), getting on here and catching up.
See ya soon!