Friday, May 16, 2008

Falcom's Last Day of School


I sit here emotionally wrung out. I am completely exhausted and could take a nap. Why? The closing celebration at Otter Beach School. We have spent the past four years dropping the kids off on Birch Park Road and watching them walk together down to the school each morning.

Falcom had his first meltdown about school ending last night. He was a puddle, and when I asked him the problem he said, "I'll miss my friends, and it's the last time I'll get to dress in any girl stuff." Luckily, he got through it and fell asleep. At 5:30 this morning I hear music in the kitchen and the microwave on...I stood on the landing and started scolding DeeJay. Oh, no! It was Falcom, dressed and ready for school. Just listening to the Puppini Sisters... What's the problem with that? I thought I would kill until I realized that he is doing the usual Falcom thing; Christmas, Easter, Last day of school, ect...

As I was saying, today was our last time walking down together. I got out of the school before news time started. The thought of sitting there and listening to the last news would have pushed me over the edge too early in the day. I knew that I would have to save my energy for the emotional up swell that comes each year when Falcom's teacher Jeanne makes everyone sing "Circle Game" (see radio station play list and push play).

I figured I'd better take the edge off and so Marina and I went to Stefan's house for coffee.
It was lovely sitting out on his deck with him watching Marina jump on the trampoline. We got caught up on some important information. We reminisced about the year that we sat in our yard behind the house at the Red Meat Farm in the hot sun and watched a tiny Falcom (maybe three at the time) heard chickens. I made clover wreath, and we thought about these peaceful country childhood memories. It was temporary relief.


And then back to school for the celebration.


I was in such a state when I dropped Falcom at school that I spaced my dog and left him at school all morning. Nice.


The ceremony was so darling and amazing. Falcom has had such a loving time at that school and has began to know more fully who he is and what he is capable of. I remember so clearly his first day at school, what a little guy he was. He looked so lost among those big kids.
Now look at him, solid in spirit as well as mind and body. I'm so proud.





This is a video of Falcom's teacher, Jeanne, reading the limerick/poem she wrote for him.

At the end of each year they ask the children what they brought with them to Otter Beach, and what they are leaving with. When he said his list He left out what He brainstormed for his list, which was that he came to Otter Beach punching people and he is leaving with the complaint System. He also left out My idea, which was, that he came with Shirt Hair and is leaving with a Hannah Montana wig. Ah! My darling! You are loved.

No comments: