Sunday, May 18, 2008

Christophers Birthday or Saturday Mahem!


I spent Saturday morning organizing around the production of this cake. You see, all Chris wanted was a robot cake. This three dimensional beauty got rave reviews from the mothers in the crowd and made Chris give me the only and best compliment he has ever given me; "It's EXACTLY what I wanted."
For those of you who are new to three dimensional creations, the hardest part of getting this cake together was the car ride from my house to the Bay Club. Yea, I was screaming at the kids like a wild woman. I was so freaked out about getting this cake to the club on time! It made me remember a video game I wanted to create while I was in college called, "Wedding Cake Driver". You can imagine the game: a driver behind the wheel, a huge cake in the back of the van, obstacles jumping out from the sides of the road. Will the cake make it to the reception in one piece and looking great?

Fortunately, Robot Cake did. Grandma remembered all of the important party things; spoons, plates, cups...no candles. I had to blast over to Safeway to pick some up and a nice woman in line gave me her cigarette lighter when she saw me in line with the candles and puzzeling over whether Priscilla had remembered the matches. Everything was going great.
The climbing did not go as well. There was a mix up in communication and no climbing instructors arrived to run the climbing wall until after we had been there for an hour. Luckily we had cake, and presents to open. Once she got there the gal was really great at getting the kids up the wall. Kudos to Stephanie Pitzman who stayed to help belay kids on the wall. It really helped keep the party rolling. She tried to talk me into creating a fire truck cake for her for Owen's birthday, but I don't feel I owe her that much...
And then there was the carnival! See side bar for gouging rates for the various families. Yes, we saw all kinds of friends. Got some visiting in. Rode on some rides together and only got gouged for $40 dollars because I am cheap and refused to continue the gushing stream of money. It ended. It was fun. Imagine, a $6.00 bag of cotton candy?
After the carnival mayhem, we had a cup of coffee with Mike and Bobbie at Mema's Shack. When DeeJay got there we went to the Hospital employee appreciation banquet. The theme of the event was "Deadliest Catch" like the television show. The place looked well decorated. We ate crab and shrimp. It was fun seeing friends dressed up like fisherman and FYI to the Wise Family in Vietnam: Matt! You won the King Crab of the Year Award! It is an award that you received from votes from the staff of the hospital and you were in the running along side your colleagues. You even beat out Dr. Brady! Congratulations! I tried to jump up to accept the honor in your absence, but Vince held me down. Yes, you are loved and appreciated at the hospital. Does that make you want to hurry home?


No comments: