Monday, May 5, 2008

A Day Around Town

Fighting gravity is hard. It's hard when you have lunch in the Chart Room at Lands End looking out at Kachemak Bay with your delightful soul-mate and your kick a** new handbag! The waitress told us the special of the day, a chicken breast sandwich with avocado and brie cheese, and Vince knew I would love it. He was right. Sadly, I was feeling too self conscious to get a better picture of this oral delight.
Many of my readers who live in other parts of the world will be surprised to learn that cruise ships do not regularly stop in Homer. Seems most cruise ship travelers don't want to get off of a luxury vessel and then get onto a dusty school bus. Shocking, I know. But today Holland America went all out and brought their buses down from Anchorage. The town was just packed! It was fun reminiscing about the kids and my cruise last winter. Something I would do again? Probably not soon. But, while driving past that vessel, and in light of our IEP (Individualized Educational Plan) meeting for Falcom at McNeil School, and realizing that it was coming up in less than an hour, the thought of the relaxing time I had with the kids in the sun, playing mini golf, eating ice cream and drinking ice tea made me think I would be back on board sooner than I had thought.

Happily, I can report that the meeting was pretty cut and dry. The positive is that Eric (Fal's teacher), Vince and I all feel that getting Falcom in over there last year was a wonderful thing. My year of preparatory angst was worth it. We have all had a year to get to know each other and there are no surprises about what is going to happen in the fall. I did not have a panic attack when I left the meeting (a pleasant change) and I did not have to fight the urge to drive to the harbor and sneak onto that ship to become a stow-away. I realized I missed early enrollment for my darling Marina to get registered into Kindergarten, (I'm there every week, how did I miss that?) but she'll never know. And so the day was a success.


IMAGE OF THE DAY

Live streaming video during our conversation with Irene, Maya, and Matt in Vietnam. It is beautiful and miraculous. I feel like a part of me is in Vietnam, because sometimes they move the camera and I can see out the window of their hotel. I can see Matt walking around. I can watch Irene measure how much food Maya ate. Finally Matt yelled out that I should get a video camera for $30 bucks at Tech Connect. Duh! Why not? Well, not today because they were closed...but tomorrow I will be streaming along with the rest of the high tech world. Will a new cell phone with texting capacity be next?


After leaving Irene and Matt and their new baby, Suzanne and I got to spend some time together tonight proving that the battle against gravity can be won. Well, maybe for one of us. We took off unnecessary items and emptied our pockets and enjoyed the new layout of the meetings. The WW has moved to the Christian Church on Bartlett. Nice, plenty of room and toilets. I personally liked having all the girlfriends lining up together. (Especially when they told me how great Falcom was in the Jubilee. I'm not sure I'll tire of that!) Suzanne and I got to get on the scales together today at the very same time! And guess what? Even though I have eaten cupcakes a-plenty this week, and some chocolate brownie, I managed to loose another 2 and a half pounds! Oh what a triumph! Suzanne is not feeling as enthusiastic because she is still holding steady and she only has less than a pound to loose before she gets another 5 pound star. I tried to tell her again that it is because she already weighs less than my two 10% goals put together, but to no avail. Then she started laughing. Well, maybe if she would not eat pie. Or maybe if she would hold off on her cheese. Or maybe if she would measure that cereal. We had a hearty laugh about that.

This picture is of Suzanne and I on the scales at the same time. Doesn't it look like our beautiful weight counselor is thinking 'what the f*** are these crazy women doing?' but what she actually said was, "You could have given me a heads up and would have smiled! Geeze!"

And now, at home, enjoying the fact that another adult is here to manage the children, and scold them, I bid you goodnight.

1 comment:

Lynne said...

atta girl! :0)