Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Regular Tuesday Without Irene

DeeJay went to school this morning in the rasta dread lock hat that Vince brought back from St. Maartin for Falcom. Looking good dude!

Yesterday a fun friend (M.P.) told me a story about her two children, a boy, age 10, and a girl, age 8. These two know our family and have played with us, but we are not hang out friends with them. M.P. told me they were buying crocks at the store and they were picking out the flourishes that are so popular to add to the shoes when the girl said to the boy, "Do you think those might be too girly?" and the boy said to her, "I don't know, they might be." The two of them stood puzzled looking at each other when the girl said, "What would Falcom do?" The boy said, "Falcom would wear them." They bought the clip-ons and went home happy. Falcom... an orange among apples. Let freedom ring!

Today was the last birthday celebration Falcom will enjoy at Otter Beach School. It is such a sweet ceremony. The parents walk around the circle of children one time for each trip the kids have taken on the earth around the sun and they tell stories from each trip. We always tell about the first time I saw Falcom, sitting in the collapsible stroller, under the breadfruit tree. He had such radiant brown skin and those wide eyes looked at me with a puzzled expression and then he broke out in laughter! Four white teeth sparkled from inside his mouth and laughter rolled out of his heart, as if to say, "What a strange looking (white) lady!" O Happy Day. The beginning of our love!


I finally got up the gumption to jog this morning. Made it to Valda's driveway when it started hailing! Hail... in May... May 6. Nice. I love you Alaska, but you are very aggravating!








Had a lovely coffee with Priscilla today. She is a good stand in for Irene. Not as edgy as Irene, of course... She got goosebumps only a couple of times and I only became sentimental for Sarah Palin once. That's good for us.


Topics Discussed with Priscilla:

  • The Boys
  • My new handbag (she likes it)

  • Possible ways of overcoming the high cost of prescription drugs

  • The high cost of fuel oil/propane

  • Heidi having to go to the vet and how exactly Priscilla knew there was a problem to begin with and how if it had been my dog Scratch, he'd be out of luck!

  • Maya and what a tiny little thing she is

  • How amazing technology is that we can see right into Vietnam while we talk

  • When I should start mowing the lawn (the lawn being her lawn)

  • How Elton John is going to do another show in Anchorage since he did sell out in less than an hour
  • How she will be unpacking Maya's clothes for Irene this weekend, and how when I pressed her for a time that she might be doing that she said, "I'll be working alone. It is my job!" and I said, "I don't want to work. I want to take pictures of it for my blog!" You'd think she would know me after all these years. hee hee hee

Tonight, I got home and installed my camera! I am so high tech now I can't believe it. I also can barely use it because it was giving Irene so much feed back she either gets to see me, or hear me, not both together at the same time. We talked right as they got home from breakfast, omelets. Nice. We talked about whether Maya is just a person who can not eat when she is stressed. Possible. And then we got cut off. Damn. So here is my open letter to Irene.


Dear Irene;


Mindy called me tonight and did an excellent job standing in for you. Although we could not meet for coffee on Regular Tuesday she did tell me that she choked on her coffee as she was driving to work this morning and shot the entire mouthful out over her entire car and it was loaded with sugar and cream and so it made quite a mess. She wishes I could have been there to witness it.

Karen gave her a gift certificate for a double massage at Lands End for her birthday, you know the side by side one, thinking that she and her husband would enjoy it, but he said, 'Never!' and so Karen wants me to share it with Mindy. That should be fun.

Oh, oh, here goes my ADD again... Did I ever tell you the story of when Vince and I had side by side massages in Bali with the flower bath after? Maybe you will remember that. Um no, it was not an exhilarating experience for us...and then the farm animals outside the window started screaming... And then his father could hear us through the walls. If I haven't told you about that be sure to remind me when you get home.

Anyway, then Mindy and I will go get the pedicures you gave us after the massage. She thinks I should try again for that Elton John concert because she feels it's a phenomenon that I should be a part of. She even says that she'd seriously consider driving to Anchorage with me, not to spend a minimum of $60 on the show, but to see her brother who is doing an ER stint up there for the summer. She says she needs to see him in the window of time before TSB sets in (a term not suitable for a family blog) but before his girlfriend arrives in Anchorage and turns his mind to mush. She was a good choice for you to send me as a temporary guardian of the best friendship! She really cracks me up. I think I will skip Elton though because by that time you will have just gotten home and I want to be here to see you and talk with Maya.

Thank you for telling me that the new camera makes me look super thin and that Matt thinks I bought the fancy one that makes you look 10 pounds lighter. Fake it till you make it baby! I am loving your baby. See you in Hanoi.

Alana

No comments: