Saturday, May 31, 2008

Hitchhiking, Picking Up Mema, Roasting Vince


Whew! What a day. We have made a commitment as a family to not drive if we have an alternative. DeeJay rode his bike to work for the first time (and wiped out at Yukon. I'll post a picture of his battered face tomorrow). The kids and I hitchhiked into town. Luckily Valda picked us up. (I'm kidding...it was pre-arranged) She dropped us at the stop sign at Lake Street and the two kids and I had a wonderful time on our day of stroll around. We window shopped and visited friends, tried on shoes and played in the park.

We ended up at Mindy's because Maddy and Ziza were selling muffins and lemonade. It was a perfect ending place to our stroll around; sweets, friends, kids, visiting. Mindy and I got a bit distracted by each other and when her husband came home he found Aiden, Rio, and Marina with a gallon plastic jar mixing strong tang and imitation crab meat together. It was obvious who was up to the trouble because of the hands that almost looked like they were wearing haz-mat gloves. I wish I had a picture of that.
Vince came and picked us up and we were off to his going away party. Or was that a quitting party?

Anyway, I dropped them over there and then went to pick up Mema at the airport!

Mema and Maya Meet

And brought her back to the party so that she could watch Vince get roasted.
The friends got Vince together a new wardrobe for his new job. (He will not be wearing scrubs to work anymore.) His transformation into his father is coming closer to completion!





Valda's roast was hilarious. The following snippet will give you a good idea of how well she did, hitting his Achilles Heel.

Then my mom got up and gave him a few good zings. Everyone laughed when she told the story of how we went to Hong Kong and spent a day walking around a rural island eating great Chinese food and when we returned to Kowloon he insisted on having Italian Food...Italian Food? In Hong Kong? I was hoping everyone else would get up and throw Vince a few rounds, but...after those two what else was there to say?

Nights like this remind us of how we love the people in our lives. We are so blessed! On the way home he said, "I have to leave that job, but I hate leaving those friends." Thanks everyone!

No comments: