Thursday, November 13, 2008

A Tragic Day - A Eulogy


Today saw the end of life for a very curious pet. Her name? Buttercup.

She came to us as a chick when Vince thought it would be clever to put a Turkey chick in with the chickens. She was such an ill chick we thought she wouldn't make it through the night that first night...but she did. This is when Falcom discovered she was a turkey.

Buttercup was supposed to be last Thanksgivings dinner, but Buttercup bonded to Falcom and would follow Falcom around the yard. He could imitate her call perfectly, and they would communicate to each other from afar.
In a few months it was clear that being a genetically modified species was not going to serve her. Her breasts were growing at an uneven rate compared to the rest of her body. Her legs were not able to propel the weight around. She kept growing and growing, but Falcom loved her so dearly that we could not bring ourselves to crossing back over the line that differentiates pet from farm animal.
In fact, last winter when we were away she fell ill. Vince gave her antibiotics, but was sure she would not still be with us when we got back. When we arrived back home she heard Falcom's voice and began gobbling...he gobbled back they hung out together in the coop, and then, she recovered. She had been heartsick. It was an amazing testimony to the ability of animals to feel. We might not understand how they feel, but they connect and feel... She recovered almost the next day.

And so it was with a considerable sadness that this day came. Over the weekend, Buttercup had either had broken her leg, or had a stroke, because her left leg was inflexible and she had become immobile. Something needed to happen. We thought we could wait until Vince returned from this stint away... but when I went out into the coop today I found her stuck, with dirt on her back like the chickens had been messing with her and she couldn't get to her food.

I went to the truck in my normal, "I am so over being a farmer" state; pissed that this was happening, pissed that I couldn't do anything to help her, pissed that I knew I should do something and not wanting too. I had a thought that I should call my friend and vet, Dots, and get her advice. I got in the truck and turned on the radio and Lo! There was the good Doctor Sherwood on the radio! It was radio call in day.

What an omen! When I talked to Dr. Sherwood, she told me that there was no alternative, there was no third way. I could not bring her to the clinic, it would be super awful and traumatic more so than if I just found a farmer to take care of the problem. I got off the phone and knew what had to happen.

Yes, I even found a farmer.

Yes, I was even able to get help from Valda who laid Buttercup out beautifully for the kids and prepared her animal graveyard for Buttercup.

I am so blessed in this life with my friendships. Don't ever let there be a doubt.

When I gave the kids the news they were both very upset. Falcom cried half the way home. But then, he felt hopeful again. We got to the coop right as it was getting dark and in the half light everything seemed beautiful and peaceful.

She is now finally able to run and glide freely and probably has turkey friends all around her.
I know I spoke a lot of negative words to you this past year and a half, but Buttercup, today, after dropping the kids at school, I got out of the truck and I missed your gobble-y song. Yes, many days you were my little turkey/hog-nemesis, but I will miss you.

1 comment:

Des said...

Buttercup sounds like a one-of-a-kind pet :)