Sunday, November 2, 2008

Look What Came in the Mail

Two summers ago we had the privilege of getting to know four fun people who were here through a pharmacy program with their university. They were all such kind fun people who were open to adventure and new experience. Vince and I really enjoyed their company. It was especially fun to get to see Alaska and the world through their eyes for the months that they were here. (There is so much more I could say on this topic, but I would hate to be a whistle blower or give a spoiler alert.)

Yesterday, while we were in town to go to a birthday party, we got a box in the mail. Look what was inside with this card! Can you think of a more perfect plaque for our family? And the Card! Wow! This is one of my favorite card artists!

Kelli and Jonathan, you guys totally rock! I was delighted. Valda wants it to hang right by our front door. Even Vince, who was a little on the glum side (after talking with Toner and finding out what a mess he's got at the hospital) was laughing his head off and would not let me put it just anywhere.
Thank you for keeping us so close to your hearts that you would think of us for the perfect gift.
I wish that we could come to your house for Thanksgiving. We would love to be there. It seems we are just too involved around here.
Then Marina and I were off to the party. It was the first time that I had been to a party at the Bidarka Hotel conference room. Great idea! So much room to run around and play. I think the parents who were throwing the party manage the hotel and so this made perfect sense. Great wide open space to run and play. The kids really had a good time together. Marina was proud to be the one to whack open the pinata.
It was interesting to see what an all girl-ly girl party was like. After playing a mild game of tag, they spontaneously started coloring. No one tore into the candy strewn about after the pinata was opened, no one except for Marina who has three older brothers and knows what happens if you don't grab for the candy.
Sadly, I was having a really bad ADHD flare up where all I could think about was being somewhere else; Mema's Shack cleaning. It was as bad as when I was in college and practicing a spiritual technique called 'Be Where Your Brain Is' that caused me to flee from many lecture halls. I wish I would have known about ADD back then, but then again, I wouldn't have had nearly so spiritual of a higher education...

I was so distracted at this birthday party that I was not able to effectively connect with the other mom's and dad's there. I sent a text to Vince asking him to vacuum Mema's but he didn't have the phone on. I kept flashing to Kelli's card. I was trying to use it as a meditative tool, but it kept taking me to other places. I was really missing Mindy who would have spiced up the conversation and brought me back to the party. I was missing Irene....OK, I was missing everyone.

(side note: no, no one was cleaning while I was at the birthday. Yea, by the time I got home I went berserk.)

Thank you Kelli and Jonathan! Vince swears he'll be calling you soon.

No comments: