Monday, August 10, 2009

Whale Watching

We got a new camera and no one is satisfied with it. I bought it in Anchorage, somewhat impulsively because the sales clerk said it was a good camera and because it was on close out.

The dissatisfaction with the camera has got me thinking, is it the product that is the problem or is it the comfort with the old cameras ways that is the problem. This metaphor can be tracked through every change a person must face. I kind of like the new camera. I certainly liked the price. I liked the color (red). I like how captured this image of Falcom.

I was glad to have it when I caught DeeJay in an act of being terrific. He got off work early Saturday and volunteered his muscles to help Suzanne move from her shack back into her house after her big remodel. He did not have to be asked or paid. He makes me very proud. (He is planning on renting that shack when he graduates from high school. You can see it a tiny bit on the left side of this picture. )
No one liked the camera when they went out fishing and had the all time most fabulous Whale Show ever and could not see anything on the camera screen. Whales were jumping all around them and they could not figure out how to zoom. They could not figure out how to make a movie. I am the only one in the family who has tried to figure out how to use the camera and I wasn't there because I was too sick to join them that morning. If the pictures had turned out any better my heart would have been even more broken than it already is, so, in some ways I'm selfishly glad the new camera went on the boat.


Summer is ending. Old dear friends are moving away. Other friends are starting to deal with scary medical diagnosis. A new school year is about to start. DeeJay is starting his last year of school. He even got a call from Guam informing him that some of his family is planning to come here to witness his graduation and that he will be then traveling back to Guam with them where he will be greeting by his family as a man and how he needs to prepare. Vince and I are trying to plan how we should embark on the next few years of our lives. We are coming upon another threshold...

I just hope that we don't miss the super fantastic moments in life because we are so busy trying to figure out the techicalities.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

who cares what everyone else thinks of the camara as long as you like it? nice photo of fal.