Friday, August 28, 2009

Back to Business



Can you see the birch leaves changing colors? It's still subtle, but it won't be long until the color green is officially stored away until next spring.

This week has been about nothing but the business of getting back into the school routine. It feels to me that we didn't even have a break; as if summer was unusually short. Strangely, by Wednesday it was like nothing had happened between the end of May and now. Falcom is up at 6am every morning, dressed and ready for school. Marina is sleeping until I wake her and she begs not to go. DeeJay is waiting until 7.10 before he will get into the shower, just as he's done since his sophomore year. Willie is the only one who is shaking things up a bit and that is because he has to work after school and so he is having to plan his day a little more closely.

Mema came over on Wednesday and helped me move furniture. Now, instead of sitting on my couch while I drink coffee and chat with the Paag brothers each morning, I am sitting in a recliner. (You know I'm laughing right now! Am I any different than my children?)Even Scratch is holding his post on the stair landing.

A quick over view of the week:

Tuesday

Regular Tuesday with Irene happened at Sharon's house. So many topics were covered, but the biggie was that Sharon is officially over the top in her super stardom! Not only had she made jam from Watermelon Berries, which is nearly impossible because there is nothing to them but water and seeds, she is also making cheese from raw milk she gets from the Kilcher farm, building a sauna by herself, and working full time. Irene and I sat in awe!

Wednesday

Irene and I had a great chat with Jerami while she was getting her birthday haircut. It was really funny and fun to be with the two of them. We also had a play date with our friend Ella. Valda came to dinner. Willie learned the value of calling a job to find out when he is scheduled to work (as he and DeeJay were interrupted by a concerned co-worker calling during dinner, "Willie, you were supposed to be here at 5, where are you?"). Experiential learners, three out of four kids in the family... It is hard to watch...

Thursday

Vegetable boxes and Irene's birthday lunch. This open face veggie sandwhich was phenomenal. (Isn't this a strange perspective with Maya and the salad?) Vegetables are coming to town via a new carrier. This has changed the delivery time from 9am to nearly noon. The change has really put a crimp in my princess lifestyle. Part of being a princess are the frequent lunch dates that must be attendended. Lunch dates will have to be scheduled around veggie boxes from now on. This is so un-princess-ish.Marina and I went to our garden and did some harvesting for the Turkey Pie I made for dinner. We picked brocolli and carrots. We stole baby potatoes from their hiding places. Suzanne came over. Pie was a super smash! So were the Swiss Chocolates K and G brought back for us from their trip! Yum!

Today

I am going to spy on my kids at lunch... Oooo I'd better not go into the glorious details.... Where is the cliffhanger in that?

No comments: