Thursday, March 26, 2009

Today Ash Came Our Way...



No time for rest and reflection in this family I fear! The volcano blew. The wind changed directions. I had three hours to prepare my home for a light volcanic ash dusting. You may be wondering, "What is the big deal about volcanic ash?" Volcanic ash consists of tiny jagged pieces of rock and glass. Ash is hard, abrasive, mildly corrosive, conducts electricity when wet, and does not dissolve in water. It infiltrates every nook and cranny!
I'll tell you, for the homemaking-challenged indivudual, this can be a monumental problem.


Mema and I scurried to get the vegetable boxes delivered. She was a huge help! (It was funny, in fact, that when the local radio station, KBBI would announce volcano updates they mentioned that the veggie boxes were there, delivered, ready for pick up. Mema wanted to call them and tell them, "Thank Mary and Alana while you are at it!")



Thank you Valda for the picture of your moonscape. Notice for amature photographers out there... the impact of volcanic ash on snow is difficult to capture on film.


The schools decided to stay in session, even though the main ash fall was supposed to fall right at the time most schools in town are dismissed. I called the high school and they tried to assure me that there was going to be no problem. I hung up with them and drove another block, thinking of all the things that had to be done. I thought of a worse case scenario involving school buses not running and the boys being stuck in town.

I called the high school back and told them to send my boys out, I'd be taking them home early.


What a great idea! The three of us tarped everything and brought in the wood and relaxed all afternoon. And then, when the heaviest ash fall arrived at 3.30, they did not have to be breathing that ash filled air on the school bus. Honestly, it was wonderful having them home. They were gleeful that they were the first ones called to go home early. And they really were a big help. You may be wondering why I did not pick up Falcom and Marina? Their school is very close by and they get out an hour earlier than the kids in town.


Suzanne and Irene told me what a mess it was getting the kids from school in the ash fall and again I patted myself on the back


No, it was not a heavy ash fall. But it has made our snow look filthy! Now lets see if tonight brings more.

No comments: