Thursday, March 12, 2009

My First Mammogram!

I know that there will be the reader out there who is going to find this seriously offensive, so take warning.

I photographed my first mammogram! Because of the insurance we receive through Vince's work, I needed to drive to Soldotna for the procedure. It was a lovely drive in the snow and slush.

The Radiology Department got me right in and took care of business quickly. I'm not sure yet why this hospital seems so efficient. Could it be the lack of a union? Or are people from Soldotna just free of the burden of having the artist temperament which can be so intrusive and unproductive?This is the machine that presses the breast down and x-rays the tissue. Contrary to popular belief, it does not hurt and even if it were a bit uncomfortable it is not a long procedure. I know, everyone has different sensitivities. But after this experience, I am thinking that what people are most uncomfortable about is having some strange woman flinging their boobs around.

Yes, there were foreign hands manipulating my boobs. It's strange, but so important! Gosh, now that I am looking at this picture I wish I would have worn a bikini in Saipan...the halibut belly white flesh is blinding!Here is a picture of my boob. I've always had smallish, dense breasts. I think my boob looks good in the x-ray. Much better than it does in real time. I also think that squishing the boob makes it look bigger. Right there are two exceptional reasons to get in and have your annual exam!

They say that 30% of the people who go in for their first scan have to come back for a more thorough examination. I have a strong feeling I will be one of these people. I kind of hope I am because I like seeing my husband at his job. He looks so cute in his button down shirt. No, I am not manifesting a second exam just to check him out. My breasts are dense, like I said, and the images have each breast displaying a different amount of mass inside. This x-ray did a nice job of imaging the muscle behind the breast (edge of picture), but they are going to want to look more closely at that white area inside the breast. 30% chance. We will see.

Marina made Vince this candy lei because she "misses him so much and never gets to see him". He reluctantly made her this cute video. Following is a message from Vince to Marina while standing in the pharmacy at Central Peninsula Hospital.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your husband is hot!