Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Spring Break at the Dentist

Some people venture to distant shores for holiday weeks. The Greear Family goes to the dentist on their holiday. As I laid on my back with my mouth opened, I listened intensely to the lack of sounds coming from my children in the lobby. I reflected on years back, Marina asking a million questions, Falcom crying and screaming and taking swings at the doctor. They've grown so much these past few years. Their comfort levels in the dental office and with themselves has grown so dramatically. Both Paag brothers were blessed with fantastic dental DNA and have great teeth even though they did not have any childhood dental work (only sealants at school) and non-fluoridated water. I was feeling peaceful, but also a little anxious: quiet from my family is not usually a good thing...

Suddenly, in the middle of this dream, I hear Falcom's voice. "Mom, I pulled my molar while I was waiting for you!" And there was a bloody tooth in my face and he had a big gob of cotton in the now empty space in his mouth. I guess pulling your tooth in the dentists office is as good a place as any.

Three hours later there are only a few minor problems with our teeth to cope with. Falcom has 7 new adult teeth pushing up and both kids have orthodontics in their futures.

This week also provided us with the opportunity to witness 18-16 year old boys return from a guy weekend at the snow machine cabin. It was a great time. The sunshine made for great riding.

At one point they came across a couple of men from Anchorage who had tried to cross a creek that they thought was frozen and had then lost their machine into deep water. Imagine being out in the middle of nowhere with your snow machine completely submerged in open water. What would you do?

Fortunately, God sent them a miracle or it was their luckiest day ever! For along came 5 big teenage boys and two mechanically inclined men to hoist the machine out of the water and get the machine running again so the men could get home.
This weekend we also had the opportunity to take a science lesson from Marina. She has a lot of information about insects to quiz us on. How many times can a queen bee sting you anyway?
Here is the moon set from my perch on Mansfield Road. Equinox is on it's way!

No comments: