Thursday, August 21, 2008

The Outcome

As we prepared for school, the very first day of school, four cranes walked through our yard. It was a good omen, but, unfortunately, I continued to fret throughout the day.

We dropped Falcom at school. I met his teacher. We had our kindergarten interview with Marina's teacher. We listened proudly as she counted to 100. I whispered to Vince, "I've never heard her do that." He said, "Well, when we were driving to gold panning last week she had to pee so I made her count to 100 to distract her while I could find a pull out." Her teacher assured us that she had all of her readiness skills.

I peeked in on Falcom as we left the school. He was sitting there at his desk. Just sitting. Not a familiar face in the crowd. I reminded myself that this was such an important life skill he was learning. We all do this throughout our lives; new jobs, new communities, new friends. He will be fine! And if he is not, I will be there to help him.
Alright! I admit that I was crying during my last post. How could I not? All those children... All of them holding different parts of my heart! I decided a better use of my emotional time would be to join the Manalisay-Wise Family for lunch to say Aloha to Sarah who returns to school today. Matt was even able to join us, but I left him out of the picture because although he is cute, he is not as good looking as these three.

My girlfriends at the WW should know that my entire week has been loaded with emotional eating, including this K.A. eggplant and mozzarella sandwich. I did eat mine with salad instead of soup, but still I think this masterpiece from Maura's (formerly Pannerelli's) took up all my points from the week.

Priscilla was sad. She loves Sarah so much and hates to see her go. I was anxious, "I had everything laid out for Fal and then Amy got cancer and then Melon got cancer...I'm just going to feel so much better once he is home from school and everything went OK." I assured them that I dropped him off with my happy face and didn't get all 'emo' until I got to the car.
Vince stayed home and finished siding his new shed. I can't wait...it's almost done.

When I got home, I continued cooking. I made a cake with Oreo pudding in the middle. I also made red rice (a island dish). Finally it was time to pick up Falcom. Vince, Marina, and I met him at the door.

He was all smiles. He said goodbye to his teacher and 'see you tomorrow!'. He told us all about a girl with all Hannah Montana stuff and how she wanted a wig like he has. He told us all about lunch with Sharon Gorman. He told us about a game he played to get to know his classmates. He told us about the Russian Girls and how they were all pretty nice except for one, and that she was mean because she lives in a place where they only have white skin. This trouble is something I was preparing myself for and so I feel it is manageable.

You know this mothers heart let up a sigh of relief!

Before I knew it the big boys were home. DeeJay's schedule was great. He saw his friends. He likes his classes. It's good.

Willie had several technical difficulties (locker opening, getting lost, etc), but overall the day went well. The only class he feels he is going to have to change is pre-algebra and that is because the teacher scolded a naughty boy and kicked him out of class (no, I'm not letting him change). Any conflict makes Willie very anxious and nervous. He was still thinking about this after dinner. But I thank God for our friend Kaylene who was such a good friend to Willie, taking him around with her friends, helping him with his locker, helping him find classes. I need to get her a thank you gift or something.

In light of everyones successful first day, our celebratory dinner was a smash! Island ribs, red rice, field cabbage, broccoli, pineapple... I went to bed feeling much better...

1 comment:

The Wes Gordon Family said...

Yummy! I wish I was at your table that night!

Congrats on the survival of the first week of school.

Way to go momma, you are a real trooper, and I am so proud of your efforts. Miss ya tons...Dee