Sunday, August 24, 2008

Central Peninsula Hospital Party


This evening marked first social event of Vince's new job at Central Peninsula Hospital. It was a dinner and activity night with a pirate theme! Don't we look festive?

We received the invitation in the mail a few weeks ago. I immediately wanted to go. Vince was hesitant. It was going to be after his third day of work. He was going to be tired to drive home. What about the kids? I said, "I want to go out, see where you work, we'll drink coffee and I will find something to do with the kids." I didn't tell him about my compulsive need to do different and unique things, I didn't have too. He returned the RSVP.

Many of you know that our dear friend and neighbor Valda went to Latvia for several weeks this summer. While she was gone I was in charge for the upkeep of her vast estate. (Read that; Mowing her massive lawn). Because Valda is gracious (and she knows how that mower can shake the teeth out of the drivers head) she insisted on finding a way to repay me. For instance she'd say, "What's your favorite restaurant?" and I'd reply, "We eat out at a rate that feels like nightly. I don't have a favorite." Finally after a couple of days of this I finally had a good idea, "Why don't you watch the kids so that Vince and I can go to this hospital party in Soldotna."
I could tell from the look in her eyes she would have preferred buying us a gift certificate for any dollar amount to the Homestead, but, she swallowed down her anxiety and agreed to the plan.

I had a lovely afternoon in Kenai. I returned a light to the Home Depo for Valda. I bought Irene, Suzanne and I some new glitter fingernail polishes. I putzed around and enjoyed just thinking my own thoughts.


The party was at the old Libby, McNeil, and Libby cannery/warehouse, which sits right on the river and has a restaurant and coffee shop and bunk houses. What a great location for SO MANY PEOPLE! There must have been six hundred people there. Because we were late getting there there were no seats at the full group tables and because we didn't know anyone we didn't feel like we could comfortably barge in. We decided to sit alone. I didn't mind at all because it gave me more time to look around. Vince had the prime rib. I had this Cordon Blue with this funky rice pilaf. Now that I am part Micronesian, it is hard to eat rice that has been prepared for over 400 people. I think I have become a rice snob. I never thought that could happen.

There was a raffle with door prizes. This is a common event at all hospital parties we have attended. One of the interesting aspects of this raffle for me was noticing the difference in the items up for grabs between the towns of Homer and Soldotna. At the Homer party there were many resturants gift certificates and many gift bags full of artsy stuff. Here in Soldotna the main raffle gifts were $50 gas vouchers and $75 certificates to Froto's Restaurant. Oh, and there was a $75 tire service. Not better or worse, I think it just points out the different mood between the communities. Sadly, even thought Vince asked the lady to keep our ticket on top, we did not win. Doesn't Vince look slick with his rainbow cumber bun. Most people there were really dressed for their pirate rolls. Guys with dreads and full Jack Sparrow. Girls in bustiers and high pumps. (Yes Irene, I could have gotten away with a tiny mini skirt with the high boots. Many people were sporting that kind of vibe.) I was a little to shy to ask to take pictures. Next time, I will not be.

One of the things that Vince was really looking forward to about the evening was a poker tourney. There was one building that was dedicated to Karaoke and another to disco. I didn't want to sing if my girlfriends weren't there to hoot, and I didn't want to disco alone. In the same building as the poker was a Wii game set up, so I decided to do that while Vince played cards. For a while a nice gal bowled with me while her husband ping ponged, but then she left. People would come and go, checking out the Wii but no one would play with me. Maybe I was too scary?

Overall it was a lavish night. A really well organized and entertaining event. If people wanted to stay for a party, there was opportunity there. I mean really...Usher was blasting from the disco wafting down the wooden planks to the Kenai river as we were going out to our car. (No, Vince was not impressed that I could sing along.)
When we arrived home, the kids were soundly sleeping and Valda survived with all her hair intact.

No comments: