Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Week in Review

After this week, Laurie is going to need time in this crab pot to relax before going back to work!
Laurie, Mema, and I relaxing by the bay.

This fish was the new derby winner of the week. The size of the fish is put into perspective when compared to my children. A lady angler brought in this fish and I hope she wins the jackpot.After watching the fish get weighed, we went to the Kachemak Bay Shell Fish Growers Cooperative for a dozen oysters. They were delicious even with small packages of lemon instead of fresh lemon. Laurie turns out to be a master shucker. We will return!

The next day I took the girls on a boat tour of Kachemak Bay. Look at our cute otter friends that greeted us!
I was a completely butch Alaskan girl, taking them around and showing them the sights that are so near and dear to our hearts. We were having a great time!

Unfortunately, not all days turn out as a girl would hope. While killing time on the way to dinner in Halibut Cove I toured the girls a little too far and I ran the boat out of gas. What will be remembered from that trip? Three of us waving to a neighboring boat to get their attention as other boats zipped by like middle aged women always dance with their raincoats spinning on 20 foot skiffs. The other lasting memory will be of our good Samaritan teaching us how to blow into the gas tank to pressurize it so that I could get fuel to the engines. Urg!
Seldovia on the 4th of July is always an Alaskan treat. The streets were packed and everyone had fun participating in the games and activities that the locals had orchestrated.

Laurie and Yvette had fun walking through town seeing the sights and the great chainsaw carvings. They took a hike to outer beach and picked up rocks.

Maygen and Vince took part in the Canoe Jousting. I can not believe that they did not win! She was absolutely determined and a woman standing next to me said, "She has the heart of a lion, that one!" In this picture, she is reaching up to show the judge that they were the last ones to go down. Unfortunately, they didn't win.

Yesterday I was able to flex my butch Alaskan self again by showing Laurie around our neighborhood via 4 wheeler. She was a good rider and had fun touring the Kilcher Road Homestead and the beach with me.
Tonight dinner at Maygen's for a little bluegrass music and bar-b-que.

No comments: