Saturday, July 31, 2010

Swiss Day!

Friday was the annual celebration of Switzerland at the Schaad Residence on East End Road.  Many people do not realize that there is a lively Swiss community here in Homer.  I don't know if it started with Yule, or if he was just the most famous, but our town has a beautiful niche of Swiss. 

When we arrived Konrad was using his grown boys to help erect a rain shelter for the guests to duck under.  It is incredible to me how industrious these wonderful neighbors are!  They had dug post holes, stood logs and covered the area with a tarp just in time for the majority of their guests to arrive.  This same task would have taken me months to complete.  Just the 'thinking' about doing it alone...

The pond was its same beautiful self.  I was having fond flashbacks to last summer.  Does anyone remember last summer when the sun shone every day?  When I was tan?  When the kids and I would sit by the pond and have cold drinks with Gabi in the sun?  Ah...

The pouring rain did not keep Marina out of the kayak, nor did it keep the kids from going for a swim. 

They claimed they saw leeches chasing them through the water.  Since this summer has been cold I imagine the kids were the first fresh meat these leeches had seen this year!  Later, Falcom told me he had found a slug in his pants.  I said, "Are you sure it was not a leech?"  He said, "No because it had two googlie eyeballs looking at me!  So, I flushed it."  Love it that my kids are not freaky about things!  We did thorough leech checks before bed and this morning the first thing they want to do is go back to Gabi's pond.  Like I said, I love it that my kids are not freaky about things!

Gabi had hosted the Homer Garden Club for their annual garden tour last week.  The gardens are magnificent!  Speaking of magnificent, the food...the drinks...words can not describe...

Even the pouring rain, there was lively conversation and laughter.  Kids were playing and adults were munching.  Everyone had a blast!

Thank you Konrad and Gabi for including us in the fun!

 

No comments: