Thursday, July 29, 2010

Hooray Willie!!

After six months of having a permit, Willie has passed his DMV exam and is an official driver!

After taking his permit test 12 times (I think) we have developed a close relationship with our friends in the Homer DMV.  This crew was happy to greet us and were extremely professional in the way they handled my motherly enthusiasm and incessant need for documentation. 
Willie was a little nervous, but deep down I think he knew that driving is something he can do...

Here they are getting back from their road test.  Do you see a hint of anxiety in either the driver or the examiner?  Heck no! 
As he took off on his first solo trip, in that enormous MelMobile, (a van that intimidates many experienced drivers, but not Willie), I had to reflect on how far Willie has come in the past 10 years of his life.  The first times I drove with Willie in Chalan Kanoa Village in Saipan he was so small and so shy.  When we picked him up at the airport in Anchorage and drove him to Homer he was amazed at the speed and distance that we could travel. 

When he drove us out of the DMV parking lot today I was aware of how self assured he is becoming!  He is confident and aware and sure of himself.  He was not the nervous anxious kid who had the habit of diverting his eyes.  He was full of confidence and I felt as though...well, I felt as though...  I felt as though he wouldn't crash his first week out.

Congratulations Willie!  We love you!

No comments: