Friday, May 21, 2010

Graduation


I wish I had the ability to wax poetic about this event. I wish I had the time and the expression to share how I feel about the passing of time of goals completed. I wish I could summon the verbal agility to concisely share what it is like to watch children grow and change and succeed...But I don't.

Not today.

As I sat in the quiet this morning watching the haze catch the morning sun on the bay, I looked at an eagle sitting in a tall spruce tree on the boundary of our property and I considered the potential metaphors. There are young songbirds all around our house and there are baby ducks and chicks in my living room.


There is a graduate in the basement.

We hosted many of our friends to a graduation party at Mema's house. We all enjoyed a few good laughs as I partied like it was my own graduation (hence the references to 1986).




The auditorium at the high school was set up differently and it was impossible to see to graduates from where we were. It was impossible for me to sneak up and get a picture. That did not stop me from standing on my chair and sneaking up to the front. That did not mean that I could take a decent picture.

It was a happy night. Afterwords we watched as DeeJay was hugged and congratulated the graduate. I was elated! Afterwords, DeeJay left the high school and partied with his friends at the post graduate party.

Today I feel happy, but also exhausted, like I've been through a war and the fatigue is exhausting. We won the battle and the war is over but I'm tired.












Congratulations DeeJay! We love you very much!

No comments: