Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Jubilee Tryouts

I was just explaining to DeeJay and Brandon the problem with being an artist. When you are involved with a sport, you are usually with a team. The events are regularly scheduled. There is pressure, but for the most part sometimes you win, sometimes you loose. When you are an artist, your opportunity to perform is narrow. You've got one shot to be picked. You are alone on a stage. Each time you audition, regardless of how you did before, you have to earn your spot. It's tough.
As I could see from the artists backstage waiting for their tryout, these three kids are at the 'make it or break it' point. What I mean by this is that the stress of the audition, coupled with the peer pressure seems to put an end their stage musings. I was hiding a bit, but I didn't see nearly the number of kids there this time as there were last time. Also, many of the kids who had performed individually last year were in a group this year, like a team. I guess there is safety in numbers. Also, there were no young boys singing.

The kids were great.

I'm not being a braggart about this either. After two hours of waiting, they were ready and did their deal and stayed on track. They were not the totally embodiment of energy and Falcom got to high and pitchy at the critical point of the song, but that did not cause him to stop singing. He buckled down and carried on.

One of the things that I thought was so cool was how many of the kids back stage were so kind and positive to Falcom. From, "Dude! Cool shoes!" to "Oh my God! You are going to do that song! That is awesome!" I could almost feel Falcom's self esteem go up.

It doesn't matter if they take him this year or not. He left there feeling good about the experience, and for me that makes it worth it.
I don't know if they will make it this year. It's not the greatest song. But one thing that all three of them deserve an award for...they are brave! They put themselves out there. They hold onto their love of singing and dancing and they are willing to put themselves out there. It is awesome and I am so proud!

Results are in on Friday! I'll be sure to keep you posted. (Literally)

No comments: