Sunday, April 26, 2009

Alana's Birthday

What a week! Do you remember the Calvin and Hobbes book, "The Days are Just Packed!" That is me, in this family, in this life.

For my birthday, Marina baked me this cake all by herself. She wanted me to do it, but I told her it was bad luck to bake your own birthday cake. She couldn't let that happen and so she brought a chair over, sat it right in the middle of the kitchen, told me to sit and began cooking. I sat there and helped her reach the oven temperature and the oil, but besides that it was all her. Didn't it turn out lovely? She is a miracle...

Vince was my slave for the day and responded dutifully to my every whim.
Mom and Priscilla met me for lunch with Irene and Maya at Maura's. Look at this sandwich! The soup is also absolutely killer.Maya staged this picture herself. I know, I've been training her in diva ship very well.






Irene then took me for a pedicure. No, there is no video outtake, and I will not post the pile of skin that was left on the floor after. Looking at this picture I'm realizing that it is hard to sit up straight, have good posture, and be fabulous while someone is shaving the dead skin off your feet. This smile is not a grin of joy, it is a smirk of deep tickling.

Mom came over for dinner which Vince created. Steak. Blue Cheese. Sweet Potatoes. I forgot to photograph that.
Saturday night the girls went out. We went to Wasabi for sushi and cocktails. We had several opportunities to laugh so hard and loud that we silenced the rest of the patrons in the restaurant. Of course everyone of these conversations would be inappropriate to recap here. The sushi was good. No...it was not as fabulous as Himaware. But it was still very good.

After dinner, Suzanne and I went to the Down East Saloon where a reggae band was playing. Vince and Glen met us there. We laughed with all kinds of people we know but rarely meet up with.
There were plenty more inappropriate conversations going on. I was enjoying watching the single people making connections with each other and flirting. I really enjoyed watching all the flirting. It is so nice watching it from the outside, you know, as a member of the happy couple with the longevity position, rather than as a single person looking for a companion position.
After the evening of being around adults and their inappropriate conversations, I've decided I need to go out more. It was entertaining.
And so another weekend comes to a close. For my birthday, Vince bought us shades for our bedroom windows. It is probably hard to imagine that the sunlight could be so distracting in our nest of a bedroom, that I get reverse seasonal affective disorder. But I do! Last year I got wiggy and taped aluminum foil to the windows. Now that was goofy! Effective, but goofy.

The new shades are navy blue and darken the space nicely without blocking the reason we have the windows in the first place; the amazing view. This picture is of Marina, sleeping in my bed as the sun rises during a morning of full sun and no shade.

1 comment:

Lynne said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAAAAAAY!!! =)