Monday, January 26, 2009

Princess Alana

Gary took my picture on their lanai as I was walking out the door for the beach. Notice the rip stick at my left. This is part of my new 'rearing children on islands' theory that I am working on. Yes, I am nearly through Twilight.

I just went to the Jollibee Restaurant (a Filipino equivalent to McDonald's-with just as much popularity but no documentary about it's lack of health benefits) and had the most wild burger: The Aloha Burger. It was like a regular bacon cheese burger with tons of processed cheese and then this pineapple on it. There was a splendid amount of trans fats and as I sat looking out at the turquoise sea enjoying this; "Would Be Disgusting Meal if I were in America" burger. I thought of my dear friend Erik who says; "If it is made in Asia and the writing on the package is Asian, all nutritional laws become inactive and it is immediately like a health food." Or something like that.

I finally got into the ocean today. I forced myself out of bed and took Karen to work so that I could have the car. Gary snapped my picture as I was heading out of the house. I didn't want to take my camera to the beach for fear of being robbed. Sadly, we must consider these things. The wind is blowing hard today (for here) and the surf was crashing over the reef with some force, but that did not stop me from being safe and protected during my snorkeling inside the reef. If I had a moment to be the slightest bit creative I would write an ode to tiny coral loving fish...but I fear that there are other obligations to tend to first.
Like posting pictures of fun and food.

These past couple of nights I've been having a bit of insomnia. Those who know me will find this strange, as I can fall asleep pretty much anywhere anytime after 9pm. Well, I've been having the unusual problem of BEING AFFECTED BY CAFFEINE and Chinese New Year Fireworks and howling Boonie dogs and air con blowing...it's all been a bit much. I over slept on Monday after not sleeping, worked a bit, and then I got a call from my friend Veni who invited me to lunch with her.
She took me to a Chinese restaurant because she wanted to eat traditional food. She is Chinese/American in the Amy Tan Style and speaks Cantonese even though she does not feel one ounce of Chinese in her soul. Her husband is Alaskan and so walking in to the restaurant with her was like being with a goodwill ambassador.

We were put in an unideal table next to the soda fountain and the perfect table was next to us with a 'reserved' placard on it. Veni, without even the slightest conscious, moved the placard and got us the perfect corner seat. She made some comment like, "American courtesy rules do not apply in China." and the owner of the restaurant came quickly to greet her.
Chinese New Year miracle number one...we were just in time for the dragon show and that this blessing will surely bring good luck for our new year.
What an amazing delight! The food was fantastic. No, you will not find any of these dishes at the Safeway deli. I don't know what they are called or how a person would make them again, but I do know that the most scrumptious thing on the buffet was the Parrot fish. Their little faces looking up at me made me a little...well... But OH! Parrot fish twice in one week....

And then the dancers arrived. What a show. They came through the restaurant. They lit off tons of firecrackers. The drums were beating. It was amazing.
At one point Veni and I were laughing so hard that the owner pointed at her and said something like, "Wow! You laugh so hard!" and Veni pointed at me and said, "It's her!" Then the owner brought over an envelope with money for Veni. I suppose Veni has good status, because now she will have a lucky year.


That evening I was invited to our old friends Ted and Kathy's house. They live on the West side of the island, in a community of expats. The last time we were at their place it was cement and rubble. Sometimes these island construction projects take a lot of time. I pulled up into their yard and was blown away by the place. The vision that Kathy had described to me all those years ago has come to full fruition. I was walking around the place looking like a Japanese tourist trying to take pictures of everything. This dark picture is of their living room. See the open style. Yea...


The garden was filled with the fan palms and the flowers and the ginger torches. The rooms with the lighting and the colors, and all eco friendly. I am going to have to go back in the daylight to document the most fabulous inside spaces... The bathrooms with their open ceilings and deep wooden tubs brought over from Japan are especially noteworthy.
Finally, I must post a picture of the infamous water saving toilet that EVERYONE who has ever discussed toilets with me knows that I have been coveting since the first time I saw such a thing.

Kathy and I had a great time catching up and then she took me to her friend Pam's house (right next door. Pam is to Kathy like what Irene is to me.) Talk about out of this world! How could I go from drinking power aide in fabulous glasses at the most beautiful house to drinking water with lime at a more luxurious house in an equally fabulous glass. Pam and Mark have friends over from Seattle and so we all sat around and visited and told stories to each other until I knew I was going to fall asleep at the wheel on the way home.

It had just finished raining when I left their place, and the drive back from Kagman area through the jungle with the windows down was the most refreshing sensation. I have always believed in perfect moments. Last night, on that drive, after a day with fun friends, I realized I had had some...

3 comments:

The Wes Gordon Family said...

Sounds FABULOUS, do I say that often in my comments about you?

Well It is because you are FABULOUS!

(And your breasts are looking mighty perky & small if I might say....)

Looking Good Hot Momma!

Greears said...

De, that is so funny that you mention my breasts because I went to see my Carolinian Sisters yesterday and the first thing that happened is that Sue grabbed my right breast and said, "What happened to your boobs! They are so tiny now!" The other Carolinians were shocked that she would have the nerve to do that to a white lady and then after I left Claud informed them that I wasn't really a white lady, just an albino Carolinian.

I honestly feel highly complimented.

And then you noticed my non-nursing breasts. hee hee hee guess I'm holding up for a 40 year old;}

Anonymous said...

Maya loves the dragon video clip and makes me play it "again!" and "again!"