Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Pan-Pacific Expo Day 0/1


After a week of parties, preparation and indecisiveness, I finally found my way to the Anchorage “Ted the Felon” Stevens International airport. It was not easy to get on the way. Irene and I made Matt decide if she should drive me up there or if I should just fly. Luckily, Matt knows what we need. I need my friend to keep me calm, ease my anxieties, help me prune my packing, and She needs time alone with her thoughts. We really are a good match that way.

Irene says that the minute she can see Homer in the rear view mirror of her van it’s over for her. All the pre-trip angst and worry vanishes and it becomes all about being where she is. I could not concur with the feeling.

I mean, it wasn’t until we got to Girdwood that I realized that I had forgotten to pack any shoes. It was another reason that I was glad Matt encouraged us to go up to Anchorage the night before. So, before we could go to the hotel, or out to eat we had to have a Value Villiage extravaganza, with Irene as my personal shopper.

Notes to Irene: My choice of pants (you know weirdly cute and comfy ones with groovy inner trim) set off every alarm at the TSA and I found myself getting pat down in the glass cage. Nice. Yea, the TSA agent was cute and all, but not as cute as the girls who work in Nordstroms…you know…

Luckily she and I didn’t try to blog from the airport! My pat down took so long that I got to the gate right in the nick of time. And I didn’t even get to tell the TSA fellows watching us through the glass to take my picture. Bummer.

It was a nice flight, mellow, relaxed, secure feeling. A few minutes into the flight the captain came over the speaker and said, “Welcome aboard. If you look to the left you will see we are now passing over the Hamlet of Homer and Kachemak Bay.” I looked out to wave at everyone, and saw that you, again, were covered in a blanket of clouds and I looked up, from my seat, into the sun. It was at this point I was able to finally relax and say Aloha to the worries of my Alaskan life.

One of the fun memories Falcom has of Honolulu is the cab ride we took in the limo. Falcom, you can imagine my surprise when I saw it parked there at the taxi stand. Since I was only one person, I couldn’t take it, but I could take a picture.

At 1226 Young Street, I found Resihna making bar-b-que for me. Gloria piled up a big plate of rice and Resihna piled it high with short ribs, chicken, and steak. The neighbors came over and brought me some fish soup. I pulled up the fin to take some meat from the bone and up came the head of a lovely little parrot fish. Yea baby…I’m back on the islands!

We talked and laughed and they couldn’t believe how skinny I’ve become. I write this because it is a terrific departure from the usual island greeting of, “You have gotten so fat!” And If you think I am kidding that this is the usual island greeting…leave me a note and I’ll tell you all a little story…

A young cousin of ours has been in the hospital for three weeks with a bone infection. She has to take IV antibiotics and everyone has been very worried for her. Gloria walked me over to the hospital after dinner so that I could visit her. Falcom has such dear memories of her. She had a couple of cousins over to her room for a sleep over. Everyone is very excited that she is well enough to have friends over to her room for sleep over parties. I also understand that there is a killer kids room there where they play Wii and Xbox all day. Another reason to come to Hawaii for your medical treatments!

Once we were away from the house Gloria and I got to spend a lot of time talking together. Oh! How I love and worry about this girl! Being with her is like being with Falcom. They are so alike, so heart centered, so sensitive, such hot blood!. The connection and love I feel with her is incredible!

Back at the apartment I sat with Resihna as she talked in Pohnapean with all of the neighbors and family. Mana finally was able to hang up the phone and come out and see me. You have got to love teenagers! They can be such a delight! Especially ones that don’t feel even the slightest sway of parental influence! It is amazing that she is graduating this year. Amazing that she is turning 18. Amazing that she is a woman. Yikee!

At midnight we went into the tiny apartment and we all crashed out. I spent all morning drinking coffee with Resihna, chatting, listening to her stories, listening to her complain to me about that family that won’t even leave her alone long enough for her to have time with me. It is so nice to have such a distinctive sister.

And now, at the airport waiting to fly to Guam. I am sitting in the open walkway feeling the afternoon breeze picking up from the sea. The palm trees are gently swaying. The sun is warm. The coy are huge in the meditation pond. There are no birds flying in the food court. It’s the embodiment of all those songs in the soundtrack of Hawaiian vacations. Tourists are scantly clad, locals are COLD, Asians and Micronesian woman are wearing lovely shoes with their slacks. It is nice to be on the islands again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The girls look so beautiful, so grown up! I can't believe it! I should have given you lots of samples of birth control pills to take with you!