Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Monday Night with the WW


In tribute to the One Year Anniversary of my going to Weight Watchers - Or - another birthday was being celebrated at the table next to us and the participant allowed us to use his candle when he was finished. I prefer the Anniversary tribute idea, although that little guy next to us was awfully cute!

After the second time of writing a fantastic post and having it vanish on me without a trace, I have finally discovered what I have been doing wrong. When an author finishes writing the title of a post, she should not hit enter from the title. It will automatically publish the post. Ah! Never to old to discover the delicacies of a new technology!

This picture is going to be replaced by the picture I am about to describe to you once Suzanne sends it to me.


Suzanne and I attended Weight Watchers where she took a picture of me on the scale wearing a pair of 'new-to-me' button fly 501 jeans that I had snagged out of a hand me down bag that was meant for DeeJay and Willie. I could not bare to see jeans this good hanging around those boys knees and so now they are mine.

I realize that I was breaking the golden rule of the WW..."No Carhartts, No Levi's on the scale", but I couldn't help it! I haven't worn this size jeans since before the adoption days.

I stood in the weighing room for a long time considering being reweighed in my under ware, but, there are too many men in the group now and...this may come as a surprise but... I am modest(-ish).

This week I had a plan. I worked my plan and even in Levi's I lost 2.8 pounds.

Plan your work. Work your plan. Go out to eat after.

Suzanne had called me this afternoon and informed me that over the weekend was Karen S. birthday. Suzanne said Karen had been keeping it on the down-low and it was just by chance that she had found out. I was shocked because it was on the day of her birthday that I ran into Karen and took her out to lunch, completely unsuspecting!

When I called Charlotte and told her about this Karen problem she said, so fittingly, "How totally un-Bush B*** Party Diva-ish of her to not glom onto an opportunity for a bit of adoration! To withhold the opportunity to throw a party to celebrate anything is, well, it's just rude."

Fortunately, Suzanne ran interference and the stars aligned and we were able to 'fall off the wagon' a bit for a funny night out at Fat Olive's with Karen, Mindy, Mema, Suzanne, and me. Margarita was working and so it seemed like she was joining us for the party too. Charlotte could not attend because she had already committed herself to babysitting my friend Bobo.

Karen, it has been a blessing for me to share many wonderful birthdays with you. Thanks for the years of friendship! From the 'Radical Mommy Playgroup' days to now...what a long, fabulous trip it has been.


In the mean time, loyal readers may be wondering what has happened to the many many many pictures of food and meals out that used to grace this blog. They may especially be wondering about this since I just admitted to having been out to lunch just this past weekend and it was not documented with a photograph.

I have often wondered if I am a bit of a food critic. I go out often. I eat. I savor. I relish. But, I know how difficult it is to run a small business and so I try to stay out of the critic business. Life is hard enough, you know?

Well, Karen and I went out. I chose an 'on plan' meal of a turkey burger and a salad. When the salad arrived I had the curious experience of not being able to pierce a leaf of ice burg with my fork. Upon further investigation I realized that it was because there was a band aide in the salad.
I checked out the band aide and found that it was once wrapped around the tip of someones finger and seemed not to have a blood stain in it. I am choosing to think that someone had just broken off a fingernail too low and had wrapped that around it to keep it from snagging on anything. I'm sticking to that theory. Really.

I told the waitress. She was horrified. She took steps to remedy the situation. She was completely appropriate. What more could she do? Karen was shocked that I was so mellow about the event as she and Mindy would have been totally freaking out. I said, "When I think of all the meals I've had all over the world that were right on the border line...you know? It's like those things happen...like...'Arg! I just drank a beer with a cigarette butt in it! Agk!' "

And although I claim to have taken the high road on this, I know that I haven't really. How do I know? I am still thinking about it. I found a band aid on the floor of the basement (thank you Willie and DeeJay) night before last, picked it up, handed it to Vince and said, "do you need a side dish to go with that cookie?"or when we were deciding on where to go for dinner and someone suggested we go to that restaurant I said, "I haven't cut myself or broke a nail today so..." It took a minute for them to get my joke.

Please know that when I leave here for my trip this blog will again be filled with pictures of food. The good, the bad...and the barbecue.

Oh...maybe you haven't heard. On Sunday I am leaving for a trip. I will spend one night in Hawaii, then go to Guam, then to Saipan, and then back home. It is a fast funny trip and I am going ALONE. I am going to see my island family and for reasons that are not family blog oriented. I am also going for reasons that have to do with the darkness and my mental health. I am freaking out a bit about being away, but...

I am also looking forward to getting back to the land from which I am so karmicly tied...

stay posted.

1 comment:

The Wes Gordon Family said...

I am SO SO Glad you are able to break way from the bleak darkness/cold and defrost for a few days, I hope all is well with Gloria et. all...

Lots & Lots of love!