Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Sleepovers, Swimming, Chickens...Oh My!


Riley and Chris spent the night. I took a risk that I might wake them by taking this picture, but I couldn't help it. They were just so cute.



I hired the boys to help us with the veggie box delivery with the promise of a Two Sisters cookie. When we got there Irene scoffed at eating a cookie that early in the morning (10:30). I thought she was getting off lucky because my kids went top dollar with a chocolate croissant. I am showing these pictures because these were taken when Irene and I were fortunate enough to be outside when the clouds parted over Two Sisters and we got to feel the sun. (An event we haven't experienced in weeks). While Irene and I sat blissfully drinking coffee, the kids went down to the beach and decided to take a quick swim.




Riley and Chris have cold receptors in their bodies (unlike my children) and their lips turned blue quickly. I had to pry Marina and Falcom out and then, they finally admitted to feeling a bit cold.

Exciting farm news of the month is:

Two new members of the flock have hatched! This little red bantie is the first to hatch. I haven't heard her (I use this pronoun hopefully) name yet. I'll keep you posted. One of the most beautiful events I've witnessed in life is a hen teaching her chicks how to eat and drink. The brooding hen is loud clucking gutturally at her chick. The chick peeps loudly back to the hen while imitating the pecking motion of the hen. This natural event is so striking in contrast with the chicks that are popped out of an incubator. A person would never know that there was a strong bond between hen and chick if they were only having chicks mailed in from a hatchery somewhere.




Under Red Mountain is another brand new chick that just hatched today and is not yet ready to learn to eat. Hopefully, tomorrow, I'll get to watch her go through this same lesson. (There I go with that hopeful pronoun again.)




It is a good thing for the flock that this miraculous cuteness happened today, because I went out to the coop this morning and I told all the chickens; Nobody Rides For Free! If this were a real farm you would all be isolated and I would distinguish who is laying, who is not, and who is pecking eggs! Roosters, don't get me started! You should have been a meal months ago. You are all fortunate to be members of a pretend farm. But don't think that things won't change! Start putting out, or else!

Red Mountain and her chicks have bought them all time...

No comments: