Monday, July 28, 2008

Mema's Last Book Group for a While


With Mema Mary leaving to return to Sacramento, the East End Book Group scrambled to have a meeting before her departure. The book is Three Cups of Tea and no, I didn't read this one either. Luckily for me I had a kick-butt recipe that would win me back into the good graces of the ladies for being a book group tag along.

The recipe is from another favorite blog, chubby hubby, based out of Singapore. The recipe is for a mousse cake made with Pop Rocks. I found the idea of it completely intriguing and felt that I this would be a perfect accompaniment to the book since the book is set in Afghanistan. I could call the cake, Explosive Chocolate Cake or Roadside Bomb Cake.
It is a complex concoction, with a hazelnut/milk chocolate crust and whipped chocolate mousse in the center. Oh, and of course, Pop Rock knock offs, Kaboom Rocks in the crust. Through the course of making this recipe I had further reason to adore Vince, he made all the metric conversions in his head for me. How smart is that guy?
The girls are all fantastic to see. Jeanne and Suzanne are gearing up to start their school year on Thursday. Suzanne told us about her scary 'bad idea' drive down the switchback road to the Russian Village. Mindy told us about her run in with the super rich of Homer at the Bagich fundraiser. Charlotte tried to gently explain Kilcher Family dynamics revolving around the annual Homestead Games. Mema talked about going back to Sacramento, and how she wouldn't be back until January. We all gasped and then Mindy said, "You will bring the sunshine with you and cheer us all up."

Everyone brought wonderful dishes to the event. And we all pigged out massively. Especially me. Then I brought out the Road Side Bomb Cake. To my pallet, the addition of the pop rocks was not an overwhelming sensation as much as a gentle tingling with a slight gentle ginger tang remaining. I am afraid to go to Weight Watchers tonight. All my .2 losses are going to be gone for sure now!

Thanks girls for the good times and great food.

No comments: