Sunday, July 27, 2008

Rainy Saturday Dinner with Mema


Hard to imagine that we have come to the point in the summer where things are winding down. I know this because there are a few tell tail signs. For instance, the sun is setting at a reasonable time of night. The fireweed has started blooming. Mema is getting ready to return to Sacramento.

After Mema shot her annual family photo of our clan, we took our regular positions around the table for some pork chops, corn, green beans, salad, rice and started sharing stories from our day:

Vince had taken some folks out fishing in the rain this morning and got really chilled. He did catch a 65 pounder and that made it worth while.

Willie went first. He had a wonderful day at work. DeeJay was kind and helpful to him. Rita had bought deserts for all of the workers. Rita said kind things to him and that made him feel super good. He and his co-workers enjoyed the deserts that Rita bought and DeeJay was joking with the others and really making everyone laugh. It is wonderful for me to see Willie getting validation from hard work.




DeeJay also had a similarly wonderful day, and was much more detailed about his job; especially the ins and outs of weeding and bush whacking. He wondered about the reasons that people would stop working at the garden; like when they say the pay is not enough. I think this is a lay over of Saipan working class culture. "What? There are other jobs out there that pay more or pay less? Interesting..."




Falcom had a wonderful day as well. His friend Chasey came over for the day and they had a wonderful play date together. They played Barbies. They saw the chickens and the baby chickens. They played Bratz. They played Playmobile. They watched a short movie that they acted along with. What a great day.







Marina had a difficult day. Because Falcom had had a play date with Chasey she was feeling left out all day. When I came from town I snapped this picture. Dad was really cheering her up with remote conversations. Isn't the whole scene incredible? The velvet dress, the curly hair, the muddy boots, the mud/chicken poo ground, the chicken under her arm and the walkie-talkie? What an Alaskan Girl!

Then she told us that the best part of her day is when she climbed to the top of the tallest tree behind the chicken coop. In fact, it was a good thing I wasn't there because it would have "really stressed you out mom, I was so high!" That is when she said, "I climbed so high I could see Bali from there!" (FYI: Everything is going well in Bali. The people are warm and having fun. The restaurants are still making good food from the looks of it. The monkeys are all happy.)


Mema had a fun time at the Pick-n-pay, where she found a lovely little dish. She went to the galleries that she enjoys, she went to the Boatyard for lunch. She got a new little ladder for her cute house which she is going to paint and install like shelves in the kids room. She is sad to leave Alaska so soon, but glad to be able to see our cousins Karly and Zac. (This is where I need to send a big Alaskan Hello! to Sandy Stars! So glad to know that you are out there!)

I told everyone that I was making a fancy cake for the book group meeting at Mema's on Sunday night and that nobody had better mess with it!
I will miss Mema when she goes back to Sacramento! But I am glad I get to have you in my life as much as I do. I love you mom.

No comments: