Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Igloo-versary

Yesterday was Vince's and my 8 year wedding anniversary. Because he was working in Soldotna, we thought it would be a good idea if I pawned off the children with Mema and drove up there to hang out with him. What a great idea! But where is there to stay in Soldotna/Kenai area when the fish are at the height of their run? Being my regular cheap self, I could not justify $175 for a bed at the Aspen.

I mean, really, what is it that makes these mini holidays meaningful? Is it the rose petals on the mattress (which we would not get at the Aspen) or is it the eye contact? Is it the reflection on the passing of time, or the quiet that is made by getting away from the kids for a night? Or is it just laughing at the ridiculousness of a situation?

It was my thought that we could stay in the van, but with all the company that we had, and with the lack of pre-anniversary planning, that big queen mattress that Vince had been sleeping on had been exchanged for a twin. I told him I didn't mind sleeping in the van with him. He said there was not enough mattress space and that he would figure something out.

I said I didn't mind borrowing Valda's super luxury van (it would actually be more like stealing since Valda is out of the country to ask permission). Vince said he did not feel comfortable with that. I told him that I was sure Valda would not mind. Right then he called and asked what I thought about a room called the igloo at a place called the Diamond M Ranch for $45. I said "That sounds PERFECT!"

I picked Vince up at Central Hospital. It is a beautiful new facility. Then we went and got deserts at the Landings. I had this berry layer thing. It was beautiful and tasty. We ate as we watched the river and the fisherman in their summer dance. So pleasant and romantic!

Then we drove up to the Diamond M Ranch. It was a big RV park with a Bed and Breakfast and cabins around. Vince went into the office before me. I walked in and took his hand and the woman (owner) working the desk said, "What! There is two of you! The Igloo is meant for only one!" Vince said, "There is nothing else and so we don't have a choice about this do we?" When she agreed that there was nothing that could be done, we took the stroll over to the Igloo.

Vince and I have had some funny trips together as a couple. I mean, there was that time in Bali with the couples massage and following flower bath. You may remember the story. It's the one where the farm animals outside the window went bizerk after a butchering and then Vince's father was on the other side of the rice paper wall. Yea, pretty much that entire trip to Bali with his Dad is a wild memory... Oh, and there was our honeymoon that we took with my mother. There was the "Yes, we will sit through a timeshare presentation if you will get us a train ticket out of this city!" time in Mexico. Humorous, surreal events have followed us throughout our relationship. This anniversary was no exception.

The igloo is in a large lawn where tents can be pitched at the Diamond M. The bathroom was not a short walking distance away, as the first receptionist had promised. They were more like two hundred yards away. The following pictures show the best part, the size.



Vince entering the Igloo.




Welcome home after a long day!



So spacious!



Just enough room for Vince's single van mattress to squeeze right down beside the child's play kitchen (why that was there I don't know) and the single mattress. We were laughing so hard that my ribs hurt today.




We did take a nice evening stroll where we saw huge bunnies and watched this sunset.



In the morning, Vince went off to work early and I fell back to sleep for another couple of hours. When I awoke, I packed up to take that long stroll to the bathrooms. When I stepped out the door ALL of our tent neighbors were sitting outside their tents, as if they were waiting for me. I proceeded across the lawn self-consciously...I mean, was I snoring? Did I fart?Were we laughing too loud? Luckily only one bloke had the nerve to ask; "Well, how is the igloo?" Knowing that once I got off that lawn I would never see any of those people again I said, "It was definitely an Igloo-versary to remember."

1 comment:

Lynne said...

i am cracking up reading this!! ha!!