Friday, December 9, 2011

December 6 - Alana's Momentary Zombie Fantasy

In my attempt to heal the educational wound I gave myself in the foot (please see the post dated December 2) I was informed that I would need to drive to Anchor Point and visit the State Trooper Station where I could buy a background check.

It was a rainy morning in Homer.  The snow was melted from the ground and grass is exposed.  I began driving the 15 miles north and realized that things were looking whiter...more...winterish.  By the time I arrived in Anchor Point I realized that there was at least a foot of new snow on the ground.  I went into the trooper station and paid $20 to learn that I have no record of anything.  No criminal history...whew! Inside I found this amazing wreath!  So Alaskan...So appropriate...

With documentation in hand I decided to fill up on gas (as gas is cheaper in AP) and go to the Anchor Point post office as I was sure there was no line compared to the Homer office.  The roads had been plowed recently, and I had to push through a burm to get into the station.

I pulled up to the pump and as I was getting out of my car I noticed a man walking on the snowed over sidewalk.  He had a bum leg, a serious limp, and was struggling his way through the snow.  Because I have been watching too much 'Walking Dead' (zombie show) my mind immediately went there. 

Anchor Point has been infested with the zombie creating virus!

I went in with cash to prepay the pump and was informed that that was unnecessary here.  I walked back out and a man in full cameo with teeth noticeably missing shouts at me, "You don't belong here!  You should be heading back that way..."  He pointed his finger south. 

I said hestitantly..."yea...you are probably right..."  I dropped my head and hurried to the car.  I looked up and saw the lumbering fellow making his way through the snow;  slowly, slowly, slowly... I glanced back at the guys getting gas... 

All I could see was zombies.

I filled up, quickly went in and got my change, and the man in cameo was coming in to the shop.  He was blocking the door!  He said to the lady at the counter, "Don't trust her!  Her husband is a drug pusher!"

I looked more closely and realized who this man was!  He was not warning me to leave this strangely snow blanketed zombie infested town!  I have actually known him for years, and that he was well in his sphere of influence to tell me to head back to Homer. 

I went to the Anchor Point post office and you know what I found?  Just as many employees as the Homer Post Office and only one customer, ME!  I have decided that I may run to Anchor Point with last minute gifts that last week of December.

I went back to my car, mission accomplished, zombie fantasy brushed aside, and drove back to the land of deep dark green snow-less lawns...

No comments: