Tuesday, December 27, 2011

December 25 - Christmas Day

 At midnight on Christmas morning, I found myself lying in bed with Marina.  She knew Dad was not downstairs because she could hear him snore.  She was excited and anxious and thinking about how she can still hear the sleigh-bells because she believes so firmly and that she will listen to her classmates tell her that there is no Santa but she will never believe them and she doesn't care if they make fun of her she knows that there is a Santa who is on his way to her house and.....

I kept knocking off and waking up with her rattling me to tell me more about things.  Finally Vince came in and got me.  He then told her to GO TO SLEEP!  Falcom slept and then woke up in the middle of the night and laid there thinking about things too.  We had a rule.  No waking up Mom and Dad until 6. 

 At 6am sharp the kids came in to wake us.  They tried to make coffee.  Vince and I felt hung over!  We were so tired.  We laid in bed holding hands, drinking very weak coffee, and considered our options.  Finally at 630 we made it down stairs.

Jason was here with us.  Don Tippy.  Mema and Uncle Mike called from California.  We unwrapped our presents and everyone was happy with them.  I think Vince was most happy with the trigger I bought him for his pistol.  I've been reading up on shotguns and their faulty mechanisms....whatever...Vince bought his own presents and was very satisfied with them!  He pretended to be amazed at my ability to know what he needed!

Meanwhile, the gigantic flat screen sat under the tree.  There had been no word from Valda and so we all thought that maybe she hadn't noticed yet that she had been 'borrowed from'.

When the present unwrapping was over I went to the kitchen to start making our traditional Scotch eggs.   I was so tired I thought I was going to fall into the hot grease.  I was sucking down strong french roast with sweetened condensed milk and was having a little sugar buzz, then a headache, then I said to DT, can you get me an ibuprofen?  I slugged it down with Emergen-C while it was still bubbling and I knew I had made a huge mistake.  I had not felt so sick since I was being a nurse aide for an elderly woman and had mixed corned beef hash, Koolaid and coffee.  ooh.....

Somehow, my stomach rebounded and I was able to finish preparing the breakfast just as Valda was walking into the house.  She didn't even say hello.  "Vince Greear!  Where is my TV or do I need to be calling the police!"  We all started laughing.  She was only partially amused.  Vince pulled out the box, saying, "I don't know what your talking about Valda, but here, we got you something for Christmas."  Valda was not nearly as amused as Vince and Jason.  She stayed up until midnight looking all around her house for it. 

After a few hours of being in a coma, we went to dinner with Beezer and Maygen.  It was a fun and lovely night for us all!

Prime Rib, rolls, salad, all very delicious!

We got home close to nine.  Everyone passed out gleefully. 

Merry Christmas Everyone!

No comments: