Sunday, August 8, 2010

Marina Goes Camping




Marina was at Maygen's when Maygen needed help moving a kayak.  Marina picked up the end to help her and Maygen said, "You should come with me sometime!" and Marina said "I can come with you today!" 

Marina was passionate about going on this trip.  She talked with Vince and I about her plan.  She was aware that this was a four day, three night trip.  She knew that she would be out of cell range and that she would have to wait for us to come and get them.  She knew to help Iris and Maygen in every way that she could.  She was determined to have an adventure on a kayak with Maygen and Iris.

Half way down the spit she realized that I was going to be ferrying them in the skiff to the drop off point and she began crying.

"What is wrong?" I questioned.

"I thought we would be paddling from the tip of the spit to our camping spot!  Now we are going to be barely kayaking at all!  I wanted to go from the tip of the spit..."

I calmly informed her that this being her first time on an ocean paddling expedition, she would not be doing an open water crossing.  She did not see the problem but consented that this was the plan and she would be OK. 

It was amazing to see her in that element.  She was helpful and on track.  She helped with Iris and Mema and tried not to fight with Falcom.  She carried her own gear up and down the ramp and then up the beach.  Oh, how I loved watching her.

The camp Maygen picked for the weekend was in Tutka Bay, had an outhouse and a fire ring, was near berry trails.  Mema marched around the beach and boulders with Iris the way she did with us when we were young on the coast of Northern California.  Mema is a natural and helping nurture a child's sense of fearlessness in nature.

After we helped set up the tarp at the camp all of us except for Marina, Maygen, and Iris loaded back on the boat and said goodbye.  Marina sat in the center of the kayak to ferry us out to the boat. 

I was a little sad saying goodbye to her.  Not because I was anxious or needy, but because of her obvious Independence.  She is as natural at exploration and adventure as Falcom is at singing and performing.  As much as I want her by me always, her decision to go on this trip was opening a window into a future of Marina needing to travel, needing to be away on her own having adventures.  My youngest baby is coming into her own...

On Saturday morning Vince went to visit her.  We had planned on going Friday afternoon, but the bay was too rough.  Maygen told Vince that she was started to be a little homesick (two nights away, not bad!) and Maygen had reminded her that there was nothing she could do to help her go home yet, that they would have to wait for the boat.  Marina said, "Here comes my dad now."

"Marina, that could be anyone!"  Maygen said.

"No I know my dad's boat and that's him."  Sure enough, it was Vince pulling up to their camp site.  She was elated.  She and Iris deliberated briefly about whether they wanted to stay and camp (with the rain and mosquitos and no berries) or if they wanted to come home with him.  Both girls voted to come home with Vince and so ended their camping trip. Maygen decided to stay another night (rain, bugs, and berrilessness don't bother her as much!)

My Camping Trip, by Marina

We made a camp fire.  I got burned with a stick on my nose.  We went kayaking and it was fun.  I saw a porpoise, otters, seals, and fish.  We caught 2 pink salmon and 4 red.  We saw six eagles.  Iris and I had fun picking mushrooms and looking for berries.  No berries were ripe yet.  When dad pulled up I was really happy.  Thank you Maygen and Iris for letting me join you!

No comments: