Tuesday, August 24, 2010

First Day of School, 2010

After a summer with no routine to speak of, we acquiesce to the grind. 

Routine...

Willie woke  up without help and told me that he didn't realize how excited he was for school to start.  He is looking forward to seeing his friends.  He is looking forward to taking Kaylene out to lunch.  He packed all his stuff and didn't give me a hard time about anything. 

I'm not excited that he has to work tonight, but I am glad that he drove today because his bus would have been 20 minutes late to get him to school and that just won't do on the very first day.

There are things I love about living in this neighborhood in this part of Alaska.  I didn't notice anyone caring about whether everyone was wearing new school clothes.  Falcom, must try on all clothes before I can buy them for him.  This eliminates shopping online.  Does it matter?  Did anyone notice or care.  Sitting with him with his class I noticed that everyone had new inside shoes (because their feet had grown) but besides that...

He was nervous and excited.  He was concerned that his smile didn't look right.  He is worried about not being able to answer the question of the day at the doorway to the classroom and he'll spend his mornings in the hall.  I have a feeling he will have a great year.

Marina was in my room twice last night.  I woke in the morning and found her in my bed.  Is it because her pushki burn was itching or because she was anxious, I don't know.  We called to her only twice to wake up.  She came down dressed and ready.  She only complained about having to go one time.  She likes Debbie (her new teacher) and so she carried on.

This is the seventh sunny day of the summer. 

After the drop off we parental units stood out in front of the school, enjoying the sun.  We caught up on our kids, our families, our summers.  There have been so many changes.  Yet some things remain the same.  From the front door of the school, nothing has changed.  
The way the sun glistens off the ocean on a sunny day remains the same.  The fact that our children see a glacier everyday from school, making it as common as a soccer field, is phenomenal. 
Our children have more frequent "Moose Safety Drills" than "Stranger Danger" lectures.  No, it's not perfect (as last week proved), but it is comforting and natural.  There is support and reassurance and if it means we must wake up at 6.45 each morning...so be it!  

No comments: