Friday, August 20, 2010

Depressing Interlude: Update

There was a period of time when DeeJay was making the signature line on his cell phone "Gangster" or "Gangster 4 Life". This bothered me in every way imaginable. Today, Vince was mucking out the van that DeeJay was entertaining in and this shirt was among the items he found. The thought that there are girl versions of DeeJay in the world, soul mates of sorts, who would leave their clothes in a nasty blue van. The idea that there are so many of them t-shirts are printed in China on cheap fabric and sold at retailers across the United States. AUG! Let's just say I took great pleasure putting this t-shirt in the dumpster.

DeeJay made it to Guam just fine. He didn't know how to fill out the customs declarations and borrowed a phone to call me so I could tell him what to do. His voice was clear. He told me everything was great.

Well, everything is not great here. The van is disgusting, the paperwork to untangle his financial life is tricky, my sadness, Vince's anger, it's a difficult time.

It sounds like I've become a legend at McDonalds for my "nab and grab". Two of DeeJay's buddies were fired that night for coming in high.

I don't think he realizes it, but Willie has it the worst of all of us. He has been taking care of DeeJay his whole life and now he is having to muck up the mess DeeJay made. Everyone in McDonald's is asking him what has happened. Deejay's "friends" have been threatening him. After one particular "gangster partner" of DeeJay's threatened Willie, Vince had enough and went into McDonalds and had words with him, "Your problem is not with Willie, it's with me. You got something to say?"

Of course all the kid could say was, "If DeeJay got his own ticket could he come back?" We are hoping that is the end of it. We are coaching Willie on how not to be taken advantage of when old buddies of DeeJays come around looking for money from Willie. We are also going to be getting him out of McDonalds.

Most importantly, we are trying to help him learn how to take care of himself now that that is his only responsibility.

Willie found out that there is a "trailer on East End Rd somewhere down a trail where the meth people were taking DeeJay." It was their plan to get him really high, leave him in a ditch and take his van. Since he had already drained his bank account their plan makes sense.

Sending him was the right thing to do.

I feel great sadness still. Things are not quite right yet. I can't thank everyone enough for the phone calls and emails. It really does help our hearts knowing how much we are loved.
Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone powered by ACS!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about DeeJay. What a sad ordeal. I'm glad you got him out of here before it turned really scary (and it sounds like it was about to.) The only thing that cheered me up a little was your blogging about shopping for bridezilla dresses with Suzanne. Loved it. Quintessential Alana. Wish I was there.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about DeeJay. I'm glad you got him out of here before he got killed. The only thing that cheered me up a little was your post about shopping with Suzanne. Quintessential Alana. Wish I was there.