Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Winter

I believe there are two faces of winter.

One is looking out from a frosty window at the seemingly symmetrical snowflakes falling from the heavens. The other is wearing heavy gear and dealing with the weight of 'warm' snow before the sun has considered rising. One is luxuriously drinking coffee with a suduko magazine and sharp pencil listening to the crackling fire. The other is standing in sleet considering how to clear the driveway of the slush before the air turns cold rendering the slush into giant ice cubes.

This week Suzanne and I have been the second face. We were 15 minutes late to school today because we had to deal with this mess and screw studs into Suzannes tires before school. Because the power is still out at Suzanne's house, I taught her students about the art of a signature (ala John Hancock) while she brushed her teeth and changed into proper clothes.

Wouldn't you know today was school picture day! So Ms. Suzanne was looking rugged for this years school pictures. A day to remember! And I looked so far removed from my glory days at Jerami's in my picture.

This behind us I must say that the day of teaching was a success! We both caught glimmers of comprehension in the students eyes and it felt good!

After school we sang as we careened down the beach on her four wheeler. The tide was high and shore birds were wading in the surf. With the new fallen snow the mountains look close enough to walk to. Floating in the tide, debris has collected and frozen and gathered snow. It drifts in and out with the water.

I was midway through "get me a ticket for an aeroplane, ain't got time to take a fast train..." When she turned to me and said, "Honestly though, isn't it beautiful?". All I could say was "yes and tomorrow I bring my real camera!" She hit the throttle and away we went.
Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone powered by ACS!

No comments: