Sunday, December 20, 2009

Marina's Birthday Bash!

7 years old!

I can not believe it has been seven years since I walked on the beach with my family while enjoying slight labor pain. I can not believe that it has been seven years since Vince and I walked to the hospital in 20 below weather under the northern lights to get to the hospital. I can not believe that it has been seven years since he made me laugh by telling me he wanted to name the boy he was sure I was giving birth to "Buzz Light" Greear.

Now my girl has a gap toothed smile and an army of great friends who braved the cold and various seasonal obligations to join us for a birthday bash!

Because people in Homer do not plan for anything and few of them RSVP to events, I decided I'd better get two birthday cakes in case the entire class came to the party. This picture is of the cake when it was being readied to take to the party.

This is the cake once it got to the rink. It was a very rough car ride!

This year we broke from tradition and hosted the party at the ice rink. Ice, skates, and a family friendly locker room which can occupy 20 kids easily for an exceptional price.

The first order of business for the day was that she, Willie, and Falcom had to dye their hair orange.

Then they had to call all the grandparents to tell them it was her birthday because they would probably forget. (Joke!)

Finally it was time to pick up the pizzas and get to the party. Kate picked up this lovely cake (In Fairy Style) for the party. The boys (Willie and DeeJay) kept the locker/party room rocking with tunes.

One of the things I truly love about Marina is that she likes what she likes and does not feel obligated to pick things for herself just because they are expensive or trendy. This year we went into the toy store and everything she wrote on her birthday wish list cost $5 or less. Mostly, she wanted candy. Candy and cute tiny things. Oh, and owl pellets. She is really into dissecting owl pellets.

She is so darling!

About twenty kids showed up. They were her classmates and the siblings of her classmates. I love that we could have a party that is laid back enough that anyone can come and bring all the siblings, and everyone can have fun!

Uncle Jason was able to come to the party and the two of them sitting side by side are really a pair. There is currently a very strong Greear Family resemblance!


By the end everyone was tired and ready to get off the ice. We all came in for cake and present unwrapping. Marina was thrilled with the bags of candy and pens and little owl pellets that she got. She had a great party!

I can not believe was a pleasant experience the party at the ice rink was. Look, even DeeJay was happy...even though Vince ripped his pants at the beginning of the skate and he was forced to wear a sweatshirt around his hips for the rest of the day.

I will definitely do this again!

When we arrived back home and the kids were coming down from their sugar high the boys obliged Marina with the only thing she wanted from them for her birthday. The four men of this house sang "Lady in Red" to her. They even let me film it and put it on YouTube.

I told Marina that this is one of the greatest expressions of love she could get from the men in her life and that she had better cherish this moment. I know she does not realize that Vince's and my love runs deep but he has NEVER sang to me. And DeeJay? She is thinking, "Fal sings non-stop mom!" It's different when it's coming from your 10 year old brother. Click on the link below to watch the boys show Marina how much they love her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtxhCUGxvJw

We love you Marina!

No comments: